Arduino Uno R3 turns off when Arduino Motor Shield is attached

Hello,

I am new to the forums. Also, I have looked through a few (if not all of them it seems), to find an answer.

Currently, I have an Arduino Uno and an Arduino Motor Shield. They have been working like a charm for about a week. The code worked perfectly to move my rover 5. However, when I went to turn it on, the greeen (ON) led was off.

Here is the problem when the Uno and Shield are attached.

If they are both attached, the ON led will be on and the code works.
If I remove the USB, (7.2V battery for the motor board and 9V battery plug for the Uno are still attached) it will NOT work.

it seems it only works if the USB is plugged in---OR--- the motor shield is not attached

basically, if the motor shield and Uno are NOT attached, the Uno works . if they are attached, they only work with the USB

Any solutions?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!

cth000182:
I am new to the forums.

No kidding. You should read the guidelines. One thing you don't want to do is cross-post, it's a great way to get off on the wrong foot.

If it were me, I'd go and delete all but one post.

1. Thanks for the heads up.

2. It will not let me ----> "You cannot delete your own topics in this board."

3. Sorry? I don't know what you want or what to do.

4. no solution I take it?

I thought they could be deleted, I must be mistaken. Perhaps the moderators will take care of the duplicates. This is only one problem with cross-posting, creating work for the mods. Your answers are not all in one place, nor is the conversation. The answers you get will be better when everyone can see the conversation in one place, and duplicate effort can be avoided. Good luck with you issue and welcome to the forum.

and 9V battery plug for the Uno a

Probably dead. Put a new battery in. While you are at it, use a real battery. 9V batteries are for smoke detectors.

I am new to the forums.

That's no excuse for crossposting. Do NOT do it again.

Think I got them all. Please don't do that again cth000182.

User topic deletion was disabled because folks would go & delete topics after getting their problem solved, pissing off those of us who had contributed to it.

]The cross-posting will not happen.

Probably dead. Put a new battery in. While you are at it, use a real battery. 9V batteries are for smoke detectors.

That is what I thought (the same battery was used for a few weeks). However, after changing it, it didn't work.

I tried 6 fully charged AA for the Uno while the 7.2V was connected to the motor board, and nothing..

while the motor board is attached, the 3.3V and 5V reads 0.8V. When the motor board is not attached, I read 2.86V.

This just seems weird because it has been working for a few weeks now, and sometimes I wouldn't even have the 9V battery connected the UNO, just the 7.2V to the motorboard (which would run both).

Also,

While you are at it, use a real battery.

, what do you consider a "REAL" battery that could be used?

PaulS:

I think it's about time we had a little more respect around here for the humble 9V battery. Sure, they're not as flashy as those new-fangled Li-ion batteries, but they've got great attitude and work ethic, so I have to respect them for that! :wink:

Update:

The Arduino Uno is fried. Connected a new Uno, and everything worked perfectly. Just a guess, but I believe the regulator may be off, hence why I was getting 2.6V on the 3.3V and 5V pins.