Linino reboots indefinitely!

Given I upload the YunSerialTerminal sketch via USB when I reset Linino (by pressing the reset button near the LEDs) then in the Serial Monitor I get the attached output (linino_serial_output.pdf file).

What happens is that Linino reboots indefinitely!

Issues that I can suspect about during rebooting are related to the following outputted text:

• "No valid address in Flash. Using fixed address"
  • "Initrd not found or empty - disabling initrd"
  • "Error: Driver 'gpio-keys-polled' is already registered, aborting...".

Effects seems to be similar to those present in this one: "Yun Resets every ~1-2 minutes".

What I have to do to solve the problem? What may have caused the problem?

linino_serial_output.pdf (53.7 KB)

These messages you mention are in the boot output of my normally functioning yun so they are not likely to be symptoms or causes of your problem.

• "No valid address in Flash. Using fixed address"
  • "Initrd not found or empty - disabling initrd"
  • "Error: Driver 'gpio-keys-polled' is already registered, aborting...".

If I run reboot I get the same output as you do just before the reboot:

root@Arduino:/# reboot
root@Arduino:/# [  485.140000] wlan0: deauthenticating from 00:1c:10:05:e3:9c by local choice (reason=3)
[  487.170000] Removing MTD device #3 (rootfs_data) with use count 1
[  487.190000] Res?

U-Boot 1.1.4-gd995931a-dirty (Aug  7 2013 - 16:16:04)

Arduino Yun (ar9331) U-boot

What does your rc.local look like?

It looks like you are not using a wifi connection. Have you disabled wifi-live-or-reset?

My '/etc/rc.local' file looks like:

wifi-live-or-reset
exit 0

noblepepper:
It looks like you are not using a wifi connection. Have you disabled wifi-live-or-reset?

Since the Wi-Fi connection seems do not work with liability (for many people, and maybe it is causing other problems...) I tried to disable it just through the LuCi panel. As you can see in the above code, I did not comment out the 'wifi-live-or-reset'.

Since I use my WiFi as my primary connection to the Yun I haven't run the sketch mentioned on the main Yun product page to disable it but I believe it mainly comments the wifi-live-or-reset in rc.local.

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardYun

If you wish to disable WiFi, run this sketch. For more information, refer to this forum post.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=189105.msg1399047#msg1399047

You may think it is very easy to disable WiFi interface using the OpenWRT bare control panel LuCi.
http://arduino.local/cgi-bin/luci/admin/network/wireless

However, you will be noticed that Yun will reboot every 60 seconds if the WiFi interface is disabled. This behavior is intended by the Yun developer. You have to bypass or "fool" the WiFi detection function in Yun. This requires a small modification to the Yun's Linux part.

Since the Wi-Fi connection seems do not work with liability (for many some people, and maybe it is causing other problems...)

Do you mean reliability? For a FEW people there are problems with wifi. I have no problems and have seen the Yun stay connected to my WiFi network for WEEKS. The only times I have seen it disconnect are when I have done it intentionally or my network has gone down.

What other problems do you think are related to YOUR wifi problems? Why do they seem to be caused by wifi issues?

If I comment out the 'wifi-live-or-reset' text in the '/etc/rc.local' file then the Arduino Yun seems do not reboot anymore. However the connection does not work at some point: it works for a while after which it doesn't (see this).

What is the difference between commenting out the 'wifi-live-or-reset' text and running the sketch as said in this post? Should both solutions together completely disable the Wi-Fi connection? And is the proposed sketch to run a "not dangerous" hacking?

The sketch's author even said as a prelude:

ssci:
In some countries, it is prohibited to use WiFi without a government permit (certification). If you live in such country, this memo can help you.

Note: I still didn't run the proposed sketch.

P.S.: Yes, I mean "reliability" (not "liability"). Sorry.

As I mentioned I haven't used that sketch so I can't say for sure what it does...

Since it is recommended on the Arduino Yun product page I wouldn't think it would be considered a bad thing by the Arduino people.

If you are having wifi stability issues then some log information would help. I probably won't be much help since mine works but you could search for similar log entries on this forum. Use the YunSerialTerminal and run dmesg right after the wifi connection goes down. If nothing else I can tell you which entries seem likely to be related.

There are reports in the forum of various things routers do causing issues, I think most if not all of them have solutions posted (there are quite a few reposts of issues that have been solved before and don't have much info so you have to sort through a bit of static).