Arduino Create for Chromebook Users

Hello guys one doubt Id like to acquire the Create Service for me, Im only an single user, and I cannot purchase the service from Chrome Store cause the button buy is blocked/not enabled.

What to do.

THanks

1 Like

From https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/arduino-create/dcgicpihgkmccjigalccipmjlnjopdfe:

** If the "Try now" or "Buy" button is disabled and you are in a school environment, please using the following page to purchase an education subscription: Arduino Digital Store **

There is a special Arduino Create Chrome app version for schools, so if you're accessing the Chrome Web Store from a education network you will be blocked from purchasing the standard version of the app.

1 Like

I find it weird that an open-source company has the gall to charge users of ChromeBooks any fee at all. If I use your system from a Mac or Windows or linux machine, I don't have to pay. I was hoping to use ChromeBooks for my summer programming classes, but I will skip that and just buy a few used laptops. And use the desktop IDE. Trying to get a school system to commit to ANY amount, even $0.20/student/month, is a near-impossible task. It is even harder to get a nonprofit community outreach organization (where I'm going to teach) to make such a commitment. I think this is not the effect you should be looking for.

1 Like

I couldn't agree more with this. I happen to be the only one in my classroom unable to use the Arduino services as I use a Pixelbook. And I am the teacher! My school is not going to go through the purchasing process when my students are already using the editor for free on their own laptops. Why is it that I should have to pay just because I use a Chromebook? And even if I do have to pay, why is there no option for me to buy my own license?

1 Like

@flounder and mattlewis

Create uses special servers and very high bandwidth.
This comes at a premium price which cannot by itself be recovered without plastering it with adverts and such.

It is possible to set up your own CREATE server that does not rely on the facilities that Arduino provide at a minimal cost.
It does however expect you to be conversant with a network, network security and the use of a server.

The server itself for a small group does not have to be super fancy or even super fast.

There is a repo on GITHUB if you are at all interested.

Bob.

ps. I don't work for Arduino and am just another Arduino user.

1 Like

Yes Black In Robotics is having the same problem. We offer virtual workshops for school kids that use Chromebooks and cannot figure out how to get a per person purchase of the Arduino Create so that the web editor talks to their computer. No one answers the emails and no phone number.

What annoys me is that if I have a class of 20 MacBook users, there is no charge; if I have a class of 20 Windows users, there is no charge; if I have a class of 20 Raspberry Pi users, these is no charge, but if I have 20 Chromebook users I need to pay. I just don't understand why only one client machine has to pay. Either charge everyone, or charge no one.

1 Like

Arduino now has a great support team and you can reach them HERE

That is the OFFICIAL support form.

1 Like

Thank you! I submitted a request through the form as well. Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:t6: that we get a response soon.

@caberry starting from yesterday, the Web Editor is free to use on all Chromebooks. You can learn more by visiting Arduino Digital Store.

1 Like

Hello ZMOOG

The problem is that we have received these links several times but they do not work. The software is not working on the students’ chromebook. It appears there is some type of error in this newly deployed app. We get errors and the Create app never installs or works. It still thinks it is the old pay version of the app.

The difference between Windows/Mac/Linux IDE and the Chromebook IDE is, the Windows/Mac/Linux IDE use local resources whereas the Chromebook is all online and someone needs to pay for storage/compute time/bandwidth.

Arduino gives away their IDE, but asking them to pay for the computer for you to develop your s/w on may be a bridge too far in the case of Chromebooks... YMMV

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.