"avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout" error on a MEGA 2560

Hi there!
I'm having a problem with a arduino mega 2560 board that I just bought. When I plug it and try to load a program it gives me an error ("avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout"). I tried to change ports and boards types in the menu "Tools" but is no use… What can I do?

What program?

Hi,

same problem over here,

any program I try to upload, (blink, even a void setup() and a void loop(), any...any program), it goes up to almost 90% I'd say, and then it gives me this errors:

avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: Send: . [1b] . [03] . [00] . [01] . [0e] . [01] . [16]
avrdude: Send: . [1b] . [03] . [00] . [01] . [0e] . [01] . [16]

..... and it keep going like this.

I even changed the cable, I reinstalled the software (arduino 1.0.6, now I have arduino 1.5.8)

Any ideea please?

Thank you

Once you connect the board, look at the LED near the pin 13. What happens?
If nothing, or always lit, it could be the bootloader corrupted.
Many others can confirm.

if it can help, at the moment I own a Mega ADK without the bootloader (on pourpose) and if I try to load the sketch via USB, I obtain your same error from the IDE.

Relating to my personal experience I can tell you this: do you have a second Arduino or do you know any friend who own one? There is a wide number of tutorials on how burn a bootloader on an arduino using another one set as ISP.

This could be a way, not the easier one.
Best regards
Giovanni.

Hi,
My Mega 2560 started having the same problem this morning after working fine for a few hours. After being switched off for 2 hour it is behaving properly now.
Best regards, Walter

MikeAlves:
Hi there!
I'm having a problem with a arduino mega 2560 board that I just bought. When I plug it and try to load a program it gives me an error ("avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout"). I tried to change ports and boards types in the menu "Tools" but is no use… What can I do?

Buy a UsbAsp and reburn the bootloader. Are you sure that the COM is right?

First if your sketch has a !!! in it it will not upload. Ever.

Secondly do you get a new port appear in the IDE when the board is plugged in as opposed to not? If not you need to find the drivers for your board. Post a link to where you got it from or a picture of the board.

Hi All

I have time out Error with my Arduino Mega 2560, please advise...

mohammad-triac:
Hi All

I have time out Error with my Arduino Mega 2560, please advise...

Please supply more information.