Electric Shock Machine!

aphasia:
Btw AWOL, yes-- I was an idiot and said Munsters instead of the Addams Family. It was a mistake but hardly changes the meat of the subject.

well, if you can't get a simple thing like that right (and that is easily googlable), imagine how likely you are to screw up your shocker.

AWOL:
Seriously, grow up.

Let no one ask why you can't ask why ever again.

Thanks again for the kindness.

AWOL:
well, if you can't get a simple thing like that right (and that is easily googlable), imagine how likely you are to screw up your shocker.

Hey, I get Matt Damon and Mark Walberg visually mixed up in my head too-- you want to fault me for referencing the wrong stupid tv show? The next time you have a conversation with somebody and you swear it was Actor X who starred in that movie when it was really Actor Y-- I hope someone treats you like an idiot.

I'm not an idiot, thanks. And there's a difference between making a careless mistake about something trivial you know doesn't really matter and taking your time getting something just right when the stakes are different. Don't you think?

To be fair to the OP you can buy things like that:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/General-Consumer/Toys-%26-Games/Specialty-Games-%26-Toys/NOVELTY-SHOCKING-ROULETTE-PLAST-SLV/p/GH1092

Disclaimer on their site:

Caution: Do not use if you suffer from epilipsy, have a pacemaker, heart condition or similar illness, or while pregnant.

However once again I would ask myself not "how well will this work?" but "how badly can it fail?".

Especially if you are trying to get into "edgy" shocks, you might find that one day your skin is moister than usual, and you get a fatal, or at least dangerous, shock.

Or you might show it off to a friend who unknown to you (or even him or her) has a heart condition, and drops dead in front of you.

Well, I just thought -- having seen plenty of people asking the same kinds of questions (and frankly, getting horribly dangerous advice) -- that it might be a good chance to put forth some safer information. I thought the teenage abstinence analogy was best, but that fell on deaf ears.

I just figure I'm NOT the only one looking into this, why can't somebody step up and help out by (add disclaimers wherever you want) talking about the safest ways to do things like this, since its going to be done anyway...

...And without good guidance (as with teenage liaisons) it WILL end up being done unsafely. I know, as I've said, I've been looking at other forums and seeing where people ARE giving advice and a lot of it even I can tell is horrible and dangerous.

I thought this forum might be different, especially tying into the Arduino for control of the project, and I thought maybe some sensible advice might come forth.

Ah yes, I thought we were giving sensible advice.

You could conceivably buy one of those products I mentioned, and measure what voltage and current it is delivering.

Check out this video by Afrotechmods: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xONZcBJh5A

"It's not the volts that kill you, it's the amps"

(Not).

aphasia:
people ARE giving advice and a lot of it even I can tell is horrible and dangerous.

I thought this forum might be different, ..... and I thought maybe some sensible advice might come forth.

It is different, in that you are getting sensible advice, the most sensible advice there is: don't do this project.

Maybe you should start an Arduino group at Fetlife.....

Now how did you know about that Jim? :astonished:

LarryD:
Now how did you know about that Jim? :astonished:

Through a friend.....

:wink:

JimboZA:
Maybe you should start an Arduino group at Fetlife.....

Wow. And this is good:

We have a fetish for security. That's why we're the first social network to be 100% SSL.

I think it's fair to say that regardless of the OPs original intentions, intelligence, capabilities etc that you're right not to throw such information on a public forum. But I personally wonder how dangerous the basic concept really is apart from the possibility of an adolescent/idiot upping power input or other modification due to ignorance (or wonton stupidity). Are there actual statistics available that document injury caused by these devices? Where do we sperate facts from urban legend on this topic?

https://youtu.be/Z2n8u1nQg7I?t=48
54 seconds in is somewhat disturbing yet a perfect example of how these things can go seriously wrong outside of someones intentions.

Use a Van de Graaf generator for a few hundred thousand volts, not much can go wrong.

big clive

What is the big deal with shocking? Go buy an electric fence charger and be done with it. Harbor Freight used to sell a battery operated one that was solar charged. By law, they have to limit the current and have to be pulsed, like once per second. Hurts like hell, but not fatal. You don't want to do it on purpose, but accidentally can remind you where the fence wire is hiding.

Paul

1 Like

Qdeathstar:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DTXmYAVbCr8

big clive

WTF ! For a moment I though Big Clive was going to demonstrate the "hand massager".
I liked the comment "I'll just check these resistors because when I plug this in to the mains my life will depend on them".

Taser mines are the way to go though;

Hmm, well, he does have a members only channel...