LM317 voltage regulator R2 is getting very hot? why?

I find this very frustrating and hard to understand. Can I ask that someone answers the questions I am about to ask in a yes no fashion.

1. the Bulk charge of a lead acid battery is done by a constant current charge. For simplicity sake let's say we want to charge our battery with 100mA. Now in order for us to force 100mA into the battery we require a voltage of 20v. So now our power supply only puts out 16v. So we will not be able to push 100mA into the battery, BUT!!!! BUT BUT BUT!!! We will still be push some amount which is LESS THAN 100mA!!! So essentially our BULK charge will take longer than usual BUT it will still work and will NOT damage the battery. Yes or no?

2)Now an LM317 CAN!!!!! CAN CAN CAN!!!!!! Provide the top explained power supply. As a constant current source? YES or NO?

1. for the float charge we charge the battery with a constant voltage source? At 14.1v. Now the LM317 can also provide us with such a power supply!!!!!! Yes or no?

The LM317 can supply us with a constant voltage and a constant current source. I hear u guys are saying it cannot but I'm sure it can because all the first LM317 is doing is limiting voltage to the second one. So the second LM317 never see's any voltage higher than say for example 14.1v. Then the second LM317 regulates current to say 100mA. So the device can never see voltage above 17volts and can never see current above 10mA.

Even if I use one LM317 set up as a voltage regulator regulated to 14.1volts I will be able to charge the battery until it's full!!!!! This will obviously take much longer but it does not damage the battery at all and if I leave it over night then awesome!!!!!

And I know that efficiency isn't going to be great but these are the only components I have!!! I can't just buy stuff like you guys recommend. I have what I have and I want to use it to make what I need. Even if it isn't the most efficient thing on earth.