What Components Do I need

I was just explaining what items I had so far.

I really wanted something like in the video, but looking for a quicker motor then the 28byj.

My key thing is I want to be able to adjust the speed through code, not with a potentiometer.

Here is a picture of what I want to do.
Main thing is the motor on top needs to spin a Lego figure, so a stepper motor that is decently fast unlike the 28byj, and be able to be control the speed through code.

You will often see steppers sold in NEMA sizes. 17 and 23 are most popular. They would seem to be too big for your project. If you could find NEMA 5 that might be good. (I don't know what size is smaller than 17.)

Also look for a "pancake" stepper. That will be flatter than a regular one, which might be appropriate for your project.

At the worst, can you get another of those screw ones and remove the screw?

joeafox:
I was just explaining what items I had so far.

I really wanted something like in the video, but looking for a quicker motor then the 28byj.

I'm still confused.

You said in your Original Post that you have motors with screw drives. They sound like just the thing for your project so why are you focused on the 28BYJ motors?

...R

Morgan, thank you for that. I did see the pancake ones, but felt they were to big, I'll look at the 5s like you mentioned.

I didnt know what controller shield i should get, i see a few on Amazon and it looks like what i want. The cnc expansionboard that have 3 or 4 slots on them.

Not sure how to program with a shield, I've always just plugged right into the mega2560.

Robin2:
I'm still confused.

You said in your Original Post that you have motors with screw drives. They sound like just the thing for your project so why are you focused on the 28BYJ motors?

...R
[/quot I started of

Robin2:
I'm still confused.

...R

I started off with the 28byj, but found they are just to slow for what I was looking to do. So I wanted to know other motors to use that would allow rotation speed without a potentiometer, and can be done via code.

joeafox:
I started off with the 28byj, but found they are just to slow for what I was looking to do. So I wanted to know other motors to use that would allow rotation speed without a potentiometer, and can be done via code.

Sorry if you think I am being a PITA but do you, or do you not have the motors that you describe in your Original Post as

A few DC 12V Drive Stepper Motor Screw with Linear Nut Slider for DIY Laser Engraving Machine

...R

Robin2:
Sorry if you think I am being a PITA but do you, or do you not have the motors that you describe in your Original Post as
...R

What is being a PITA?

I was unable to find NEMA 5, ill have to check more on ebay or something.

My main questions is, what shield do i use like the one in the video, or do i even need a shield, and are the motor speeds adjustable from within code?

joeafox:
What is being a PITA?

It is a person who won't give a direct answer to my simple question. (Pain In The ....)

...R

As you're obviously not willing to be clear about what you're actually trying to do, I'll keep it simple.

For your stepper: motor speed can of course be adjusted in code (after all you have to tell how fast it takes the steps, i.e. when it takes a step and in what direction), until you reach the limit of the motor. The 28BYJ-48 does no more about 30 rpm iirc. It's not a speed monster, but it's got some pretty decent torque in a tiny package.

If that one is running too slow for you, find a faster stepper. That usually means a stepper that is less geared down than the 28BYJ-48. Steppers come in many shapes and sizes, find one that physically fits your project, has the speed you require, and the torque you require.

After selecting your stepper, find a controller and power supply that is suitable for that specific stepper's power requirements.

That's all there is to it.

wvmarle:
As you're obviously not willing to be clear about what you're actually trying to do....

These type of replies need to stop, they are no progressive to the community, and will eventually drive people away.

I am new to the Arduino field, so if I cant clearly express what it is I'm trying to do... I atleast try my best to. That is the exact reason I'm here for help in these forums, not comments about what it is "Im unwilling" to do.

Thank you Robin2.

joeafox:
These type of replies need to stop, they are no progressive to the community, and will eventually drive people away.

This is a FREE help forum, populated by volunteers.

Not answering simple questions about a project YOU want FREE help with wastes our time, and that's what we're complaining about. If that means driving away people that don't respect this simple fact, all the better for the others. Had you read the forum sticky you would've known what is needed for getting detailed and specific suggestions.

In the process I still gave you all the things to look for when selecting a stepper; if that's too general for you, well that's only because your question is lacking detail.

joeafox:
and will eventually drive people away.

You are the person who is driving us away because you are refusing to answer the questions you have been asked.

Please re-read all the Replies you have received and answer each question fully.

...R

Sometimes we will even ask a question that we already know the answer to. You will learn something in the process of trying to find the answer.

If you don't answer the question then we know you did not learn the thing we think you need to learn.

this train wreck could have been avoided if someone had just wrote an article about How To Use This Forum

joeafox:

I am new to the Arduino field, so if I cant clearly express what it is I'm trying to do... I atleast try my best to. That is the exact reason I'm here for help in these forums, not comments about what it is "Im unwilling" to do.

If you were willing to answer the question but unable to, then rather than ignoring the question, say what you don't understand about the question, and then we can give you more detail about what is being asked. Just ignoring a question comes across in a text conversation as if you have something to hide or you just don't care.

to != too
then != than

To even start thinking about OPs question.

How many steps per revolution on your motors?

How fast is fast enough? RPM?

• and everything above.

Hi,
You seem to have some hardware to get started, HAVE YOU TRIED to assemble anything?

Can you tell us your electronics, programming, arduino, hardware experience?

In this post how did you go?
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=618457.0

Thanks.. Tom... :slight_smile:

I think the OP abandoned us a long time ago.

...R