Exercising the X,Y and Z steppers

If you are like I am and haven't figured out a way to get the calibration.G code into the Mega 2560 since the board has a USB type B connector that is female, and all of the card readers that I have are USB type A, I need to find an adapter that will convert B female to A female. I had some of those around, but haven't been able to find them and I visited all of the nearby electronic stores, and nary a one.

I need to exercise and check the X,Y, and Z stepper motors for correct travel and ensure that all the wiring is out of the way and run correctly before I lace them up. Also the belt tensioning needs to be checked.

Here is the way to exercise the stepper motors.

1. power up the printer
  2. Observe the LCD
  3. Push in on the vernier switch (Display potentiometer) one time
  4. Information screen.
    5 Rotate the vernier to prepare. Push in on the vernier and rotate to Move Axis
  5. Push in on the vernier, select Move 0.1 mm
  6. Push in the vernier. select Move X, observe the LCD
  7. Do the same for Y and Z

The idea is to ensure that the X and Y move to the limits as observed on the LCD. If not then turn the printer off and move the axis by hand to the 00.00 limit, turn the machine back on, then rotate the vernier step by step until you hit the limit switch

Note: my y stepper was vibrating whistling and jerking. I removed the belt took the motor off the mounting, held it in my hand and turned the vernier. It continued to misbehave. I put one drop of oil on the back side away from the pulley and turned the shaft by hand a few times. This cured the motor. Put every thing back and it works very well.

@ normoldboy:

"If you are like I am and haven't figured out a way to get the calibration.G code into the Mega 2560 since the board has a USB type B connector that is female, and all of the card readers that I have are USB type A, I need to find an adapter that will convert B female to A female."

Why do you wanna use an external card reader instead of the one on the smart controller PCB?

MaxBo:

Cannot find it, have looked it upside and down and came to the conclusion that you have to use an external USB in order to input the SD card data. If it is there, give me a clue as where it is located. I know that you can order a Ramps 1.4 board that comes with a SD card reader plug in, see RepRapDiscount Smart Controller - RepRap

The only item in my package A1 was the Ramps board, there was no plug-in for a SD card reader. If I understand you correctly, then there should be a SD card reader on the board. An item to look at is there is no mentioning of a SD reader in the assembly manual.
Thanks for the heads up.

MaxBo:

I just found the SD slot. On the left side around the corner from the LCD. Slot cut into the frame. I had covered the SD slot with the main cable from the Y axis ran it down the corner. spotted it by the light shining off of the metal rf shield."If at first you don't succeed, try playing second." I never expected it to be part of the LCD. I have to presume that 4 of the leads on cable 2 are for the USB as the Aux3 is where the pinouts reside, and the rest are for the vernier select. Have to take a close look at the schematic.