Is there a good Basic interpreter?

Hmmm

"...lightweight interpreter..." , "... sources evolving...", "... life perfecting ..."

Of course!

....+++---> brainf*ck

Oh. And this guy has already written the interpreter for atmega:

Cheers,
John

That still leaves the question on how to execute a set of binary code on the Arduino.

The bootloader allows you to do that.

I know, but I meant from within running code, like this:

void setup()
{
    char *binary = .....
    push esi
    execute(binary);
    pop esi
}

Forth might be a good option:
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,8838.0.html

DevilsChild:
Got another idea: What about an assembly compiler on the Arduino? Pass ASM code as string and get binary code as return and then execute it by setting the instruction pointer? Is that somehow possible or does it sound ridiculous?

Not possible. On these processors (Harvard architecture) you can't execute code from RAM.

DevilsChild:
Got another idea: What about an assembly compiler on the Arduino? ....

Do you mean ON the Arduino or FOR the Arduino?

I meant on the Arduino from memory. Well, as Nick stated, it is not possible. I think I'm best off by writing my own Basic interpreter. It shouldn't be so hard, I've written one a couple of years ago. When something useful comes around, I'll share it :slight_smile:

Again, thank you all for help. I will also take a closer look at bitlash and some of the posted links.

Here is one:
#include <stdio.h>
#define Q r=R[p++-'0'];while(
#define B ;break;case
char
s="Qjou!s\311^-g\311^-n\311^-c\::^-q-ma%mO1JBHm%BQ-aP1J[O1HB%[Q<nbj
o)|gps)<<txjudi)m|aQdbtf!::::;sfuvso<aQefgbvmu;aQ<m,,a%CQ<csfbla%bQ<aN2!Q
\ndbtf!aP2Q;m>aP2Q<a%!D12J!JGJHJOJQJFJSJJJMHS%HD12D12N3!N4\nJUJT%UQm>aP4HC%T
Qs\q,,^>m,2aP4HC%SD12N1\nJNQm>s\..q^aHC%NHb%GN1!D32P3%RN1UP1D12JPQUaP1H
R%PN4\nQ<g\(aP3Q(^>aP2Q,2<n\(aP3Q(^>aP4Hb%OD12D12N2!N3\nJVP3Q,,<jg)aP3Q=>n
\(aP3Q(^m>g\(aP3Q(^<fmtf!m,,aHC%QN1!N1\nJ#Qqsjoug)#&e]o#-aP1QaHb%#Qqvut)
aP1Q
aHb%FN1\nQm>::::aHC%VP3Q>bupj)hfut)caHb%JD12JON1!Qjg)a%LN1UP1D12JIQUa
P1HL%IQ*m>aN2!N2\nP2Q<fmtf!m,,aHC%MN1!N2>P2Q>aN2\nP2Hbdd!b/d";k;char R[4][99]
;main(c,v)char
v;{char*p,*r,*q;for(q=s;*q;q++)*q>' '&&(q)--;{FILEi=fopen(v
[1],"r"),*o=fopen(q-3,"w");for(p=s;;p++)switch(*p++){B'M':Q(k=fgetc(i))!=EOF
&&k!=*p)*r++=k;if(k==EOF){fputs("}}\n",o);fclose(o);return system(q-6);}*r=0
B'P':while(*p!='`')fputc(p++,o)B'O':Qr)fputc(*r++,o);p--B'C':k=0;Q k<*p-'0'
)(*r++=fgetc(i),k++);*r=0 B'I':k= *p;if(**R==k)goto G B'G':k= *p;G:p=s;while(
*p!='$'||p[1]!= k)p++;p++B'N':R[*p-'0'][0]++;}}}

8^)

I used to code in Visual Basic 6 for a living... hopefully never again. I've slowly evolved to languages that actually work and make sense.

It shouldn't be so hard

Nothing is difficult, until you start doing it.

KeithRB:
Here is one:
#include <stdio.h>
#define Q r=R[p++-'0'];while(
#define B ;break;case
char
s="Qjou!s\311^-g\311^-n\311^-c\::^-q-ma%mO1JBHm%BQ-aP1J[O1HB%[Q<nbj
o)|gps)<<txjudi)m|aQdbtf!::::;sfuvso<aQefgbvmu;aQ<m,,a%CQ<csfbla%bQ<aN2!Q
\ndbtf!aP2Q;m>aP2Q<a%!D12J!JGJHJOJQJFJSJJJMHS%HD12D12N3!N4\nJUJT%UQm>aP4HC%T
Qs\q,,^>m,2aP4HC%SD12N1\nJNQm>s\..q^aHC%NHb%GN1!D32P3%RN1UP1D12JPQUaP1H
R%PN4\nQ<g\(aP3Q(^>aP2Q,2<n\(aP3Q(^>aP4Hb%OD12D12N2!N3\nJVP3Q,,<jg)aP3Q=>n
\(aP3Q(^m>g\(aP3Q(^<fmtf!m,,aHC%QN1!N1\nJ#Qqsjoug)#&e]o#-aP1QaHb%#Qqvut)
aP1Q
aHb%FN1\nQm>::::aHC%VP3Q>bupj)hfut)caHb%JD12JON1!Qjg)a%LN1UP1D12JIQUa
P1HL%IQ*m>aN2!N2\nP2Q<fmtf!m,,aHC%MN1!N2>P2Q>aN2\nP2Hbdd!b/d";k;char R[4][99]
;main(c,v)char
v;{char*p,*r,*q;for(q=s;*q;q++)*q>' '&&(q)--;{FILEi=fopen(v
[1],"r"),*o=fopen(q-3,"w");for(p=s;;p++)switch(*p++){B'M':Q(k=fgetc(i))!=EOF
&&k!=*p)*r++=k;if(k==EOF){fputs("}}\n",o);fclose(o);return system(q-6);}*r=0
B'P':while(*p!='`')fputc(p++,o)B'O':Qr)fputc(*r++,o);p--B'C':k=0;Q k<*p-'0'
)(*r++=fgetc(i),k++);*r=0 B'I':k= *p;if(**R==k)goto G B'G':k= *p;G:p=s;while(
*p!='$'||p[1]!= k)p++;p++B'N':R[*p-'0'][0]++;}}}

8^)

CODE TAGS!!!!

dhenry:
Nothing is difficult, until you start doing it.

The mind boggles. Truly.

A maybe 10 second search got this:
http://amigojapan.github.com/Arduino-Retro-Computer-with-SD-card-and-LCD-display-and-Keyboard-input-with-BASIC-interpreter/

and this:

and this:
http://ec2-122-248-210-243.ap-southeast-1.compute.amazonaws.com/mediawiki/index.php/Arduino_Basic

and a few more before results from this forum made the list. Your mileage may vary.

Interpreter Basic is a ancient and cruel form of torture supported by masochists and the ingnorant.

Interpreter Basic is a ancient and cruel form of torture supported by masochists and the ingnorant.

Mostly the latter.

Pass the code as string and the library executes it? I don't necessarily need the shell that many interpreters provide

BASIC is sorta all about the shell...

As for the provided code, it didn't work! And it's obvious that that is not actually a basic interpreter, but only a "compiler" that translates BASIC code into C code! And it needs more comments!
( http://forum.basicprogramming.org/index.php?topic=1824.0;wap2 Follow the links...)

PaulS:

Mostly the latter.

And I actually heard that they encourage the use of GOTO statements. :wink:

Yup. When your business package crashes you maybe load a variable or two and type GOTO some-line-number to keep running. Ain't life good?

A joke I'm sure, but don't be so dismissive. A tiny number of us were assembling back in the day, an increasing number of people who had to have abstraction used proto C (You talk about torture - they loved error reports), but there was a mass of people who were introduced to microprocessors via Basic (go find the philosophy behind it's development), Fortran, Pascal (later) forth etc. ALL of those pioneers provide the shoulders that we now stand on. The C used in Arduino is stripped down and has to be the easiest implementation I have ever come across and yet it still throws errors from artefacts, at least Basic has the good manners to point out the error and only the error :wink: And what exactly is wrong with a goto? It just provides a method for stepping over code, structures like 'case' do the goto's for you. In fact, if you read the reference, you'll find a goto. Anyone can write sloppy code in any language. If you want to be dogmatic and write tight code, pick up the data sheet and start assembling.

The advocates of all languages look down their noses at the other language users, however, if you see someone smiling quietly to himself, trying not to look too aloof, he'll be the assembler in the room :wink:

For a real insight, writing languages (and even small OS's) is fun, everyone should try it.

if you see someone smiling quietly to himself, trying not to look too aloof, he'll be the assembler in the room

No, he'll be the real engineer, who has tweaked the microcode 8)

he'll be the assembler in the room

I thought for a moment you said "elephant in the room". :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: