Hello there, and a question

Would just like to formally introduce myself I have already made two other threads asking for help. So I figured I would probably spend more time here than I planned, and I should introduce myself.

The name is Vampist, Vamp; I do a lot of work with PHP, SQL, XHTML, Javascript. I am rather new to microcontrollers I always new about them. Seen them, just never worked with them or figured how they work.

I have been having my eye on the arduino for some time now and finally took the dive recently. I picked up a duemilanove (atmega328).

Along with the arduino I got:
Bread board jumper wires.
mini bread board.
Protoshield v.5
two larger bread boards.
16x2 LCD (white on blue ;))
and I already have 014295014508145 LEDS...

Anyway that is a little about me but, I also had a quick question.

I have seen some videos on youtube with people that have a clear plastic mount square for there arduino.
I was wondering if there was a place to buy these?
If not what do you suggest I make them out of, Plexiglas? Thickness?

Also I seen some nice looking rubber grommets and screws.
Does anyone know the screw diameter for the arduino holes?

If you have the same, or different arduino mount, PLEASE share! :slight_smile:

Seconded. Any advice would be appreciated :).

Welcome to the wonderful world of Arduino!:slight_smile:

Well, I know there are a couple other sites that have their own versions, but I've purchased from Seeedstudio, so I'm more apt to purchase from them!
http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/harness-for-arduino-megaarduinoseeeduino-kit-p-437.html?zenid=762d9b1fe3ba94145b6970d01e920bac

And I can't recall where, but I did see some screws for the Arduino holes, hex spacers and some others.. if you do find those, please do let us know! :smiley: I need some myself.:slight_smile:

Does anyone know the screw diameter for the arduino holes

It is an M3 screw that is needed for those holes.

Sweet deal, thank you.

So I can just get some standoffs for a motherboard and use them with the arduino.

Anyone know about the little rubber feet like things?
That would take some pressure off when pushing on shields and or vibration from anything.

Personally, I don't like plexiglas: it tends to melt when you drill it or carve it with a Dremel.

When I lived in the city, I used to go to TAP Plastics, and grab chunks of plastic sheeting from their scrap bin. ABS is very nice, and expanded PVC is pretty easy to work, too.

Now that I'm a country boy, and the supply I accumulated is dwindling, I sometimes have to get a little creative. Like using the container from my blood pressure meds as a mounting base.

For temporary set-ups, I also use Lego to build bases that can hold even complex constructs securely.

Threaded spacers are ridiculously expensive, so I made my own: if you buy 10 or more of these from Digi-key, they're only 6.5 cents apiece, and the hole is almost exactly the right size for tapping 4-40 (It's close enough that you don't need to re-drill them). The savings on a couple dozen will pay for the cost of the 4-40 tap. Digi-key also sells bags of 100 4-40 screws and nuts that are much cheaper than even the big chain hardware stores. Just tack them on to your order when you find you need some fancy chip or other part you can't get from your local Radio Schlock.

The rubber feet won't really do much to help with vibration: they're usually hard enough that, for the tiny load an Arduino puts on them, essentially all the vibration will be transmitted right on through. What they can be good for is anti-slip protection: you'll often find that connecting cables weigh much more than your Arduino set-up, and can easily drag the whole thing off the workbench if jostled. I have one of my Lego baseplates mounted to a piece of 1x6 lumber: nothing short of my tripping on and dragging a cable moves that sucker ;D

Ran

Thanks for all the info, I liked some of your creativity in your Lego designs lol.
Yeah I have noticed a few times that when programming with the thick usb cord it can drag the whole setup off the table haha.