How can make things go up and down?

Hi,

I have an Arduino Uno and I am really beginning in this Arduino world.

My project is a lighting project. I need to move my cylinder part (Light parts is inside of that part) of my design goes down and up. Which kind of motor I need? How can make this item movable? And how can I code Arduino for this kind of design. Any useful tutorial that you know, please post me.

Your description lacks specifics. How large is your cylinder and how fast is it expected to move, over what distance range?

You could use some simple motor and pulley and string to move things. You could use a motor and an arm so if you rotate the motor, the arm's one end goes up and down so reciprocating if you keep the motor spinning.

Does the light have to go up and down?

Or can you simulate it by having multiple lights and turning them off and on to make it look like the lights are going up and down?

aarondc:
Does the light have to go up and down?

Or can you simulate it by having multiple lights and turning them off and on to make it look like the lights are going up and down?

A cylon knocked down and lying on the ground? :slight_smile:

The OP seems to have stepped away.

It sounded like he wanted to build something like the column in the Tardis - which is translucent. Unless someone can actually see the light, then simulating its movement ala my suggestion is probably easier and more reliable than introducing a mechanical component to the system.

Guess we'll have to wait and find out if the movement was for form or function.