50M (164ft) Long Run rgb LED Strip. Power

Hello there,

I am building an rgb LED 160*10 Array using:

A - 50M (164ft) Addressable WS2801 RGB 5V LED Strip 160 - 9W/M = 45W/5M - 1.8Amp/M - 9Amp/5M

B - 8 Gauge wire

C - 300W / 5v / 60amp Power supply.

My current display layout & connection is attached in the diagram picture below. Figure Connection 1

I also attached my plan on the upgrade to overcome the power loss by connecting two 300W-5V-60amp Power Supplies. to both ends. Figure Connection2

The question is:

Is my second connection in shown in figure Connection 2 correct?

If not, then how can i fix the connection in order to overcome the power loss by powering the entire 50M (164 chain) with 2 power supplies to both ends?

Do i leave the 10th strip end marked with 10A hanging without any connection?

Do i need to use any RGB amplifiers?

Please help me fix this problem or give me any suggestions.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

I would ditch the serialized right hand end +5 & Gnd connections. Make them all parallel like the left end.
Use 1 supply to power 5 strips, use the other supply to power the other 5 strips.
Common Gnd for all so the control signal has a common reference point.

WS2812B.pdf (381 KB)

Let's see.

So you calculate a maximum of 9 Amps per 5 m, thus 90 Amps for 50 m.

So you do need two power supplies.

I would actually lean toward the second configuration. The common concern that the power supplies will be unequally loaded will be balanced out by the resistance of the strips; if the current at a given time is low, then if only one supply is providing it, it does not matter as that will be within the rating of that supply. Having two supplies will always guarantee full voltage at each end.

You must certainly want both ends of all strips powered.

RGB amplifiers are irrelevant to this.

CrossRoads:
I would ditch the serialized right hand end +5 & Gnd connections. Make them all parallel like the left end.
Use 1 supply to power 5 strips, use the other supply to power the other 5 strips.
Common Gnd for all so the control signal has a common reference point.

Dear Sir, Thank you for your reply.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

I think i got what you are saying.

here is my diagram, what do you think?

Regards,

Paul__B:

Let's see.

So you calculate a maximum of 9 Amps per 5 m, thus 90 Amps for 50 m.

So you do need two power supplies.

I would actually lean toward the second configuration. The common concern that the power supplies will be unequally loaded will be balanced out by the resistance of the strips; if the current at a given time is low, then if only one supply is providing it, it does not matter as that will be within the rating of that supply. Having two supplies will always guarantee full voltage at each end.

You must certainly want both ends of all strips powered.

RGB amplifiers are irrelevant to this.

Dear Paul,

Thank you for the help offer.

here is my diagram 5 attached below.
i definitely used 2 power supplies.

#1 PS to attached odd strips.
#2 PS to attached even strips.

All the ground wires were connected together so the datalines can have one common reference point.

What do you think of my new connection in the diagram attached below?

Please comment or give me any suggestion.

Thank you so much...

Well you can do that but you are feeding power only to one end of each strip, so you are likely to find some distortion of colour at the un-powered end at high brightness levels.

Why? Because the strips have significant resistance and the voltage at the un-powered end will be significantly lower than 5 V if you are drawing 5 Amps (let alone 9) and the driver chips have difficulty maintaining full current to the blue LEDs, so you tend to get a distinct yellow tint.

I stand by my recommendation.

Paul__B:

Well you can do that but you are feeding power only to one end of each strip, so you are likely to find some distortion of colour at the un-powered end at high brightness levels.

Why? Because the strips have significant resistance and the voltage at the un-powered end will be significantly lower than 5 V if you are drawing 5 Amps (let alone 9) and the driver chips have difficulty maintaining full current to the blue LEDs, so you tend to get a distinct yellow tint.

I stand by my recommendation.

Awesome, I get it now.
i will show you the final project...

I really really appreciate your help guys.

Thank you so much!

Regards,