ILI9341 (China clone): how to wire SD?

another ILI9341 question: how to wire SD pins on ILI9341 (China clone) ?

as you may see, there are 4 extra pins for SD: why ??
CS is clear.

but SPI MOSI, MISO, and CLK are already wired at the side of the TFT-Pins.
So do I have they wire again or not?

What does your multimeter say? sd-MOSI seems to only connect to SD slot.

You would need to check the SD library documentation to ensure your using and configuring software for the correct pins.

I just got my ILI9341 2.8" touch in the mail yesterday, so haven't had time to test it.

I have no multimeter and probably never would need it ever. I'm writing programs and just stick wires, I'm not designing electronical circuits.

Don't bother, it needs another one of those 'bothersome' libraries!! :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Regards,

Graham

ArthurD:
I have no multimeter and probably never would need it ever. I'm writing programs and just stick wires, I'm not designing electronical circuits.

OK Watney, Let us know when your rocket gets back from Mars.

For anybody that may be interested to hear the answer to this question, here is what I did.

It works sweet at SPI_FULL_SPEED and draws a 320*240 image on screen in approx 148ms! That's NICE!

I added a spare 2 pin header I had laying around although only 1 pin is used (SD_CS). The other 3 I just bypassed the useless 1K resistors (I will only ever use this with a DUE so they are redundant (and could cause speed problems)) and connected them to the TFT equivalents (MISO/MOSI/SCK).

Regards,

Graham

ArthurD:

So it is darn lucky for you that I have, because without it, it is impossible to tell just by looking which pin on the back of the SD card is MISO!!

I just keep giving and sharing the love Arthur! :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Regards,

Graham

1 Like

The SPI bus is a bus !!

You connect all MOSIs together, all SCKs together, all MISOs together. A separate /CS for each device. Only one SPI device can be active at a time. Make sure that each /CS line has a pull-up resistor to keep all its lines inactive when it is not selected.

The Module in the photo has got 1k0 series resistors to protect the SD card. Why have you abandoned them?

The display will look much better with the protective film removed.

David.

david_prentice:
Make sure that each /CS line has a pull-up resistor to keep all its lines inactive when it is not selected.

The Module in the photo has got 1k0 series resistors to protect the SD card. Why have you abandoned them?

Ok, so I overlooked the CS pull-up, but I don't have 'protective resistors' on my CTE shield, and have only seen 1K resistors in series with the CLK, MOSI, CS lines when using the device with 5V, which I am not.

Regards,

Graham

I connected MISO, MOSI, and SCK header pins from the SD side to the TFT side and CS to the dedicated Pin (==SD_CS==53) on the Arduino (Due).

With the built-in SD-slot it DOESN'T WORK (SD card not detected) -

but with an external SD card instead (extra Backbone), plugged to the same pins, it works fine.

Hey Arthur!!

Sorry I upset you before ok!? Good to see you again.

Ok, have you tried reducing the SPI speed first of all? Does it literally do 'nothing'...

Have you wired it INCLUDING or EXCLUDING the 3 resistors? I too am using a DUE, and that was my motivation behind excluding the 3 resistors....... I have subsequently had it working with a MEGA, so I am happy my solution is sound.

Regards,

Graham

ok, no prob :slight_smile:
I have a Due, and so I connected the MISO, MOSI, and SCK header pins on both sides directly 1:1, no soldering on the slot.
just the cs pins go seperate
sd_cs == 53
tft_cs== 52

edit:
of course I wouldn't change the SPI speed, it works with ILI9341due, and with external SD backbones.
So no reason to change anything.

this is my code:

edit:
no code, effing size limit!

ah... have I missed that?
for the Due I HAVE to solder to exclude the resistors ??

ps,

I take Vcc from the Due SPI header which is 5V !! (strangely though)

I tried to shortcut but then I guess I got a short circuit.

I hate these crap devices!

No!!.............. Take Vcc from 3.3v!!

Now, I have a curious thing........... I just coupled up my ILI9341 to my DUE to do some tests for you......... I KNOW I had it working at SPI_FULL_SPEED previously............. but would not work so this time....... it would only work at SPI_HALF_SPEED......... I connected it to my other DUE and sure enough works fine at SPI_FULL_SPEED...... How odd is that?

Regards,

Graham

ArthurD:
ah... have I missed that?
for the Due I HAVE to solder to exclude the resistors ??

Not sure, that's what I was about to prove for you......

Regards,

Graham

PS, I have to pop out for a little while, I will try it when I get back.

crap devices, what did I say?

now I don't even get my external SD slot working any more!

You may have damaged it by using 5V for vcc :frowning:

G

the TFT is fine!

the external SD slot was not plugged at that time.

The internal slot is unplugged now

but the external SD slot wich was re-plugged now also does not work any more (5 different SD cards testet!)!

what is the command to set al that on half speed?