Bigger lcd alphanumeric screens

Hi all!
I know that for Arduino there are the 1602 and the 2004 alphanumeric displays.
Do you know if is there a bigger alphanumeric display?
(Not a graphical one, I know about the 12864 etc)

Thanks

Are you looking for more characters or physical size?

Both,
I'm looking for a bigger screen in size and of course more characters but with the same "style" and type of screen.

To give an idea I'm looking for something similar to a screen made of smaller screens put one next to the other.

Bjack795:
Do you know if is there a bigger alphanumeric display?

Sure there is, 40 x 4 screens are common enough.

srnet:
Sure there is, 40 x 4 screens are common enough.

That's what I was looking for, thank you!

AllanGH:
https://www.buydisplay.com/default/character-display/40x4-character

Thank you, too!

Not a problem.

I have used BuyDisplay since about 2013, and, if you don't have a problem with the shipping lag, you should be very pleased with the quality of their products. So far, I have not had a defective component or sub-assembly from them, and just ordered their development board for the 40x04 display....just out of curiosity and general boredom after a busy Summer season.

If, however, you need the display yesterday...LOL...you might want to consider other suppliers. I believe that shipping to me, in Southern California, takes about 3 weeks.

AllanGH:
Not a problem.

I have used BuyDisplay since about 2013, and, if you don't have a problem with the shipping lag, you should be very pleased with the quality of their products. So far, I have not had a defective component or sub-assembly from them, and just ordered their development board for the 40x04 display....just out of curiosity and general boredom after a busy Summer season.

If, however, you need the display yesterday...LOL...you might want to consider other suppliers. I believe that shipping to me, in Southern California, takes about 3 weeks.

I have no rush so it's ok, thank you :slight_smile:

Bjack795:
That's what I was looking for, thank you!

Thats OK, it did take me a while to think what to use as a search item in Google, as in what would be a 'bigger' screen than a 20 x 4.

srnet:
Thats OK, it did take me a while to think what to use as a search item in Google, as in what would be a 'bigger' screen than a 20 x 4.

I've tried a lot of combinations but never 4004 ahahahh

Bjack795:
I've tried a lot of combinations but never 4004 ahahahh

I can understand, its not intuative that a 40 character display would be the next size up from a 20 charcater display.

srnet:
I can understand, its not intuative that a 40 character display would be the next size up from a 20 charcater display.

Yup quite impressive as complexity.
In fact 16x02 then 20x04 then 40x04, straight forward.
So I think that you know all the series.
Than 80x08 or 80x04 or 60x04 ?

Well, so far at least, 40x04 is the largest LCD character display that I've seen available to the consumer/hobbyist market. If somebody out there is selling something larger, I'd be interested in seeing tech specs on the hardware.

I presume that, because of economic forces, and the limitations of 4-bit / 8-bit address lines, the next logical step up would actually be an LCD or OLED graphics display panel; which would, of course require more resources from the host micro-controller board.

Oh....I almost forgot to mention that, as with the 40x02 displays, you WILL NOT be able to use the run-of-the-mill i2c / SPI character LCD backpack boards to simplify the addressing scheme from the controller board to the display itself. Most of those top-out at 20x04.

However, Akafugu does supply an imminently capable TWILCD backpack board here:

TWI protocol libraries for Arduino and avr-gcc are available here:

AllanGH:
Well, so far at least, 40x04 is the largest LCD character display that I've seen available to the consumer/hobbyist market. If somebody out there is selling something larger, I'd be interested in seeing tech specs on the hardware.

I presume that, because of economic forces, and the limitations of 4-bit / 8-bit address lines, the next logical step up would actually be an LCD or OLED graphics display panel; which would, of course require more resources from the host micro-controller board.

Oh....I almost forgot to mention that, as with the 40x02 displays, you WILL NOT be able to use the run-of-the-mill i2c / SPI character LCD backpack boards to simplify the addressing scheme from the controller board to the display itself. Most of those top-out at 20x04.

However, Akafugu does supply an imminently capable TWILCD backpack board here:

https://store.akafugu.jp/products/33

TWI protocol libraries for Arduino and avr-gcc are available here:

GitHub - akafugu/twilcd: Firmware for Akafugu TWILCD dot matrix LCD display backpacks

Very useful, thank you!

We've done projects as high as 8x40 LCD's, but they are rare if not impossible to find these days.

Our I2C interface backpack supports almost every size, including 40x2 and 40x4 displays, LCD, OLED and VFD

https://www.matrixorbital.com/xbi-x-board-i-series

an example of I2C using our displays

https://www.matrixorbital.com/News/Arduino%20I2C%20LCD

Good luck!

MatrixOrbital:
We've done projects as high as 8x40 LCD's, but they are rare if not impossible to find these days.

Our I2C interface backpack supports almost every size, including 40x2 and 40x4 displays, LCD, OLED and VFD

I2C Backpack for 4/8bit LCD|VFD|OLED

an example of I2C using our displays

https://www.matrixorbital.com/News/Arduino%20I2C%20LCD

Good luck!

There is a world here!
Thank you for this useful information :slight_smile: