Car Steering Wheel Audio Controls Board - Custom DIY

what's up everyone, I pulled this board from an identical car to the one I own (2013 Scion xD) to make custom controls on the other side of the wheel, to do control things like DIY LED interior lights and other things.

I'm just trying to understand how the board works, I mean I can read it, see all the resistors, but I can't seem to match it up to the circuit diagram provided by the manufacturer. Specifically I can't figure out which wire is giving this board power and where the ground is.

Wire colors from left to right are WHITE, GREY, RED, BROWN. Images are attached.

Thank you so much for any help.

Interesting post! You ask questions about an automotive control board in an Arduino forum. Then instead of showing the mfg. schematic and the board , you show the interior of the car. Does this seem sensible to you?

Auto manufacturers go through many circuit board revisions through out the time of manufacturing a vehicle. They produce documentation only once. Possibly you need to supply the actual date and place of manufacture to the company to get the exact documentation, if it even exists.

Have you compared the spare board and wiring to the existing wiring to note the differences? Did your new board actually work in a vehicle?

Paul

too lazy to click the link where I supplied all the images huh?

Of course it seems logical as this board will be directly linked to my arduino... however given your response I am second guessing it.

No I did not hook it up to my car yet, I was hoping looking at the 4 wires someone more experienced would see it and say "it's obviously wire 3" (which is what I think because it's the only l wire that is not active in the logic).

Even if I hooked it up I don't think I would be able to discern the power and ground. It is the exact same unit that is in my car now that controls the radio.

Hi,

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html .

OPs PCB;

Get the pencil and paper and DMM out and reverse engineer the PCB.
Are there any components on the other side of the PCB?

No, this forum is viewed on many different platforms, including smartphones, linking images to other sites is difficult for those members to view your images.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html .

Thanks.. Tom... :slight_smile:

Travisbklein:

That is not the way to get people to help you.

I'm too lazy to offer you any assistance.

If you click on your link, all it shows is the interior of the car.
No need to get your panty's in a bunch.

JohnLincoln:
That is not the way to get people to help you.

I'm too lazy to offer you any assistance.

The moron implied I was dumb enough to ask a circuit question without posting the circuit and just posting a random pic of a car lol, when obviously I did post the images. I cannot control if he doesn't know how to read the full post.

It's ok you are too lazy, less clutter.

Panties aren't in a bunch, I tried to attach images but it kept saying server timeout so I decided to do the next smartest thing and that was to link them to a site who can host them in high def. I thought it was a pretty good option I didn't think a moron would reply trying to be witty, which obviously backfired.

Travisbklein:

You were obviously too lazy to even bother to make that link clickable to begin with, or to even check whether it is clickable. And indeed after copy/pasting the link and looking through the images indeed there is absolutely nothing to go by. It's a PCB all right. That's all that can be seen.

Your total lack of respect for people that are trying to help (on an obviously non-Arduino related question on an Arduino-specific board to boot!) will not get you any closer to a solution.

wvmarle:
You were obviously too lazy to even bother to make that link clickable to begin with, or to even check whether it is clickable. And indeed after copy/pasting the link and looking through the images indeed there is absolutely nothing to go by. It's a PCB all right. That's all that can be seen.

Your total lack of respect for people that are trying to help (on an obviously non-Arduino related question on an Arduino-specific board to boot!) will not get you any closer to a solution.

Obviously not lazy after trying to upload images for more than 5 minutes without having success. I was reading somewhere that this board has 2MB image cap? What is this 1997?

I understand you do not have knowledge in circuits and that is fine, but I was able to get awesome advice and learn alot from someone who looked at the images and was able to tell what ground and Vcc were, and I was able to learn how they discerned this by looking at the LED diode.

Maybe you could learn also if you look through the images and have an understanding of LED diodes, which I would of assumed you would already have with so many forums posts.

Anyway here is a link to the forum post if anyone comes across this trying to do a DIY project with an analog circuit board that will feed into the Arduino ADC.

Travisbklein:
Obviously not lazy after trying to upload images for more than 5 minutes without having success.

All of which is clearly explained in the main forum sticky. Had you only not been too lazy to read that...

By the way, had this been 1997 you'd have to use Usenet for this kind of questions, which at the time was already used to distribute files much larger than 2 MB, though Gopher and ftp would have been more appropriate for that size.

wvmarle:
All of which is clearly explained in the main forum sticky. Had you only not been too lazy to read that...

By the way, had this been 1997 you'd have to use Usenet for this kind of questions, which at the time was already used to distribute files much larger than 2 MB, though Gopher and ftp would have been more appropriate for that size.

If I wanted it explained I'm fairly certain I would of asked. I decided to use the image hosting site I usually use when I visit forums that have not figured out hosting their own images is beneficial. I cannot control someones inability to use that link.

And of course I would use FTP if I had a time machine to go back to 1997 and use this forum, which of course was not around. But again as I circle back, a concern of mine that falls just below that little piece of fuzz between my 2 larger toes that I can feel right his moment.