Joystick controlled RGB LED

I'm new to the Arduino club. I've been working my way through my Elegoo project box tutorials, but after every lesson, I try to branch off and figure out how to use what I just learned.

I finished the joystick tutorial and thought it would be fun to have it control an RGB LED. I tried looking up if anyone else had done it, and they have, but when reading it, it just felt like their code was complicated, so I set out to make a simple one. Found other posts where people were looking for the same thing, but never really got their questions answered.

So, I'm just going to post my code here for those looking for a more beginner level Joystick controlled RGB LED.

//Note that all the color value variables are used to dim the respective LED.
//Meaning, the axis on the joystick associated with redValue will dim RED
//instead of making that direction RED. 

// const int SW_pin = 2; //Switch currently unused
const int X_pin = 0;  // VRx connected to A0
const int Y_pin = 1;  // VRy connected to A1
#define RED 11        // Red to Digital 11
#define BLUE 10       // Blue to Digital 10
#define GREEN 9       // Green to Digital 9

void setup() {
//  pinMode(SW_pin, INPUT);       //Swith currently unused
//  digitalWrite(SW_pin, HIGH);   //Swith currently unused
//  Serial.begin(9600);           //Serial was used for debugging. Turn on to see values. 

pinMode(RED, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(GREEN, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(BLUE, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
  int x = 0;
  int y = 0;
  x = analogRead(X_pin);              //Read VRx normally
  y = abs(1023-(analogRead(Y_pin)));  //Invert VRy read, as the module is inverted

int redValue = 0;
  int greenValue = 0;
  int blueValue = 0;
  int xValue = 0;     //xValue is later reffered to as "douse," as it's main role is to douse the red and and blue LEDs

xValue = (map(y, 512, 1023, 0, 255));             //Douse is the upper half of the Y axis
  xValue = constrain (xValue, 0, 255);              //Set the upper half range to 0 thru 255
  greenValue = (map(y, 0, 512, 0, 255));            //Set the green control to the lower half of the Y axis
  redValue = (map(x, 0, 512, 0, 255))-xValue;       //Set the red control to the left half of the X axis, then subtract the "Douse" value
  blueValue = (map(x, 512, 1023, 255, 0))-xValue;   //Set the blue control to the right half of the X axis, then subtract the "Douse" value

blueValue = constrain(blueValue, 0, 255);         //Make sure the range of power for each output is 0 to 255
  redValue = constrain(redValue, 0, 255);
  greenValue = constrain(greenValue, 0, 255);

analogWrite(RED, redValue);                       //Make the lights turn on.
  analogWrite(BLUE, blueValue);                     //    :)
  analogWrite(GREEN, greenValue);

Serial.print("X-axis: ");                         //I'm letting this still execute, but nothing will display
  Serial.println((x));                              //until the Serial.begin(baud) is turned back on. 
  Serial.print("Y-axis: ");
  Serial.println((y));
  Serial.print("Red=");
  Serial.println(redValue);
  Serial.print("Blue=");
  Serial.println(blueValue);
  Serial.print("Green=");
  Serial.println(greenValue);
  Serial.print("Douse=");                           //Remember, "DOUSE" is the xValue and it's role is to turn off red and blue LEDs
  Serial.println(xValue);
  Serial.print("\n");

//  delay(500);                                     //Used in debugging so one can read the serial output. Keep off to keep LED control real-time
}

it just felt like their code was complicated

As is yours. Not it's not easy to write uncomplicated code. Takes experience and practice, and a very clear understanding of what you want to achieve and how the functions you are using work, in detail. Would you like some tips?