Hack your muscles! How To Build A Muscle (EMG) Sensor for a Microcontroller

Hey All,

We've just posted step-by-step instructions and a demo video on how to build your own muscle (EMG) sensors compatible with Arduino microcontrollers. Use it to control video games, robot arms, etc.

Snippet of the intro...
"Measuring muscle activation via electric potential, referred to as electromyography (EMG) , has traditionally been used for medical research and diagnosis of neuromuscular disorders. However, with the advent of ever shrinking yet more powerful microcontrollers and integrated circuits, EMG sensors have found their way into prosthetics, robotics and other control systems. Yet, EMG systems remain expensive and mostly outside the grasp of modern hobbyist."

Hope you find the instructions useful. Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions of need any help building a sensor for your next project!

Brian Kaminski
Advancer Technologies
AdvancerTechnologies@gmail.com
www.AdvancerTechnologies.com

Advancer:
Hey All,

We've just posted step-by-step instructions and a demo video on how to build your own muscle (EMG) sensors compatible with Arduino microcontrollers. Use it to control video games, robot arms, etc.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Muscle-EMG-Sensor-for-a-Microcontroller/

Snippet of the intro...
"Measuring muscle activation via electric potential, referred to as electromyography (EMG) , has traditionally been used for medical research and diagnosis of neuromuscular disorders. However, with the advent of ever shrinking yet more powerful microcontrollers and integrated circuits, EMG sensors have found their way into prosthetics, robotics and other control systems. Yet, EMG systems remain expensive and mostly outside the grasp of modern hobbyist."

Hope you find the instructions useful. Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions of need any help building a sensor for your next project!

Brian Kaminski
Advancer Technologies

Hello advancer, just somethings i wish to clarify. How does the 3 electrodes detect the muscle activity? By the current flowing through?

edwardanthony:
Hello advancer, just somethings i wish to clarify. How does the 3 electrodes detect the muscle activity? By the current flowing through?

The link above goes step by step how an EMG sensor works. In a nutshell, it works like a specialized voltmeter and measures the muscle activity via the voltage difference between three points on your body.

Advancer:
The link above goes step by step how an EMG sensor works. In a nutshell, it works like a specialized voltmeter and measures the muscle activity via the voltage difference between three points on your body.

Hello Advancer, in this case, the red would be the placed in the MID muscles, and the blue electrodes would be placed in the End muscles, and for the black it would be placed at the end of the elbow.. So the sensor would compared the voltage between the MID and END muscles with reference to the Neutral(Black) Muscles?

edwardanthony:
Hello Advancer, in this case, the red would be the placed in the MID muscles, and the blue electrodes would be placed in the End muscles, and for the black it would be placed at the end of the elbow.. So the sensor would compared the voltage between the MID and END muscles with reference to the Neutral(Black) Muscles?

Yes, this is called bipolar electromyography.

Wonderful,I like it.

Advancer:
Hey All,

http://www.instructables.com/id/Muscle-EMG-Sensor-for-a-Microcontroller/

Snippet of the intro...

Brian Kaminski
Advancer Technologies

Hello, my question is what kind of software will be suitable to view this kind of signals, this is really new to me and I have no idea how to see the results of these sensors. Please reply, greetings!