Arduino + Tweeting

Hello,
So I've had my Arduino duemilanove for a little while and recently got an ethernet shield. I was looking forward to doing somethings online but have nothing but frustration and trouble. I thought I would start with something I thought should be straight forward and simple such as using an Arduino to post updates to twitter. I've seen multiple projects around the internet of people doing this and thought this would be fairly straight forward. So I started looking around here and elsewhere for codes and a basic starting point for doing this. I found various codes around, each with slightly different things going on, and have tried them all. I have yet to get any of them to post anything. I've tried using the Twitter library and still have no success.

I'm fairly decent at understanding some basic programming and even ran and programed a professional CNC machine for several years, as well as multiple web sites etc... I've even experimented with Andriod app developer with success....but getting anything with Arduino and the ethernet shield going has been frustratingly difficult.

To complicate everything I read various posts about this version of the IDE that works vs this version of the IDE with various codes. Plus I know there are multiple ethernet shields out there. It's all a bit brain boiling.

Is there anyone who can recommend a thread, a website, a list of simple basic code that I can get my Arduino to post an update to twitter?
Thanks

Is there anyone who can recommend a thread, a website, a list of simple basic code that I can get my Arduino to post an update to twitter?

You said that you found some code, but it didn't work. Presumably, the people that posted that code thought that it did work.

You'd like to be pointed to more code that won't work for you?

Why don't you post something you tried, and explain what happened when you tried to use it?

Are you able to do basic things like ping the Arduino with the shield? Can it act as a server, responding to GET requests? Can it act as a client, making GET requests?

I tried everything on this page, including the links others posted to other information with more code

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1234028200/1

I've tried to use the Twitter library found here Arduino Playground - Twitter Library
which posts your status via a second party website.

I have managed to get the ethernet shield to act as a web server and show my analog values.

When I've used the twitter stuff above that I've found I do see the ip address of the Arduino on my network so it's being recognized in that regard. It just seems no magic happens to post the status update. I don't have an LCD screen so I can't see any info from my Arduino, that may be complicating my problems in not knowing any errors that are being thrown up.

I've also read that twitter has changed the way it's doing things so these codes may be out dated. It's just difficult to know with so much random information out there.
thanks

I don't have an LCD screen so I can't see any info from my Arduino, that may be complicating my problems in not knowing any errors that are being thrown up.

Have your arduino echo what it receives back to the serial monitor to see what it is receiving.

Check out this link, this little guy seems to do everything I think many folks are looking to do with an Arduino+Ethernet shield combo. As I mentioned, something about all the various versions of arduinos, ethernet shields, IDE's random code floating around, there's just more mis-information than what should be easier to accomplish.

Check out this link, this little guy seems to do everything I think many folks are looking to do with an Arduino+Ethernet shield combo.

So you think it can tweet?

I've tried to use the Twitter library found here Arduino Playground - Twitter Library
which posts your status via a second party website.

IIRC there are problems with the twitterlibrary and version 21 of Arduino, don't know if these are solved

No I wasn't thinking that other thing would tweek, but to control the arduino over the internet and receive information back is basically I think the prime goal of many with the ethernet shield. Sending a tweet is just one of the only ways I've seen to get info out .....

So ok there is a problem with ether library and IDE 21... I'm of the option there's more wrong than that.

So ok there is a problem with ether library and IDE 21... I'm of the option there's more wrong than that.

The ethernet library and IDE 0021 work the way they are written. A common misconception of newbies is that when something doesn't work the way they think it should, the system has an issue and not them. So, I would suspect that the "more wrong than that" is possibly a lack of understanding of the communication requirements and protocol required to interface with the twitter servers. Perhaps you can post your code that doesn't work and explain what you think each part is doing to meet these requirements.

When I'm back at a machine I'll be more than glad to post code, but I can tell you it will be copies of stuff found in the examples and library or from the links I posted above. Like I stated I'm fairly capable, and if you can't take the basic building blocks provided and make things happen then there is something greater wrong with this stuff. One line of posts talk about issues with the library and IDE while others talk about stuff working. There is clearly something wrong with the parts as a whole. Like I also said I think some of these Issues many have are a result of various versions of arduinos and various ether shields.

I've also read that twitter has changed the way it's doing things so these codes may be out dated

If this is true, how are you going to address this issue? If you don't know how the current twitter servers work, or have some existing code that does work, how do you plan to troubleshoot non functioning code? If there was code that actually worked with previous arduino IDEs, then download the older IDE and try the previously functioning code. If it still works, then you have a good chance of modifying the code to fit the latest arduino IDE. If the code doesn't work, then twitter probably changed something, and you are probably SOL until you can figure out what that was.