WeMos D1 -- UNO like wifi board based ESP-8266

We made a wifi board, named D1

• based on the ESP-8266EX.
  • Arduino Compatible, you can use it on Arduino IDE.
  • 11 Digital I/O pins
  • 1 Analog Input pin
  • OTA -- Wireless Upload(Program)
  • On board switching power supply -- Max 24V input, 5V 1A output

more: http://www.wemos.cc/d1

Sounds nice,

the silk is missing some analog pins and I2C

robtillaart:
the silk is missing some analog pins and I2C

One analog input is all that the ESP8266 has available.

How about an analog mux? (That would probably take too many digital pins, though)

Hi!,

I try to install the wemos d1 files in the arduino IDE, however it fails with a file not found from the wemos.cc website.. The website itself seems down.

Does any one know another json link to get support in the arduino IDE?

Thanks!!

Hello, ive got me a Wemos D1 and installed the arduino IDE + driver etc (followed all instructions from Wemos website) but the D1 does not get recognized in the IDE under ports after connecting it with a micro USB.

I already searched the web but couldnt find anything helpfull.

Ive tried with Windows 10 and with a Mac os x (El capitan). Someone has any suggestion please?

Thank you in advance.

edit: fixed it. Don't use latest version of Arduino IDE, only works with version 1.6.5

Hi,

I have downgrade to IDE 1.6.5 but I still get the following messages:

warning: espcomm_sync failed
error: espcomm_open failed

My WeMos looks like the picture bellow with DIP switches and I think DIP 1 is suppose to be set to off when upload the code from IDE... But it doesn't matter how I put the switches. I still get the same error messages.

Please help me!

Hi folks!

Solution or El Captan: CH340 CH341 Arduino Serial Adapters fix for OSX El Capitan

See you!
Mauricio

I have a Wemos D1 on order and am curious about inturrupts. I haven't found documentation suggesting that the EPS8266 does/does not support timers. I have a project that I want to switch from an Uno with wired Ethernet shield to a D1 but it must support interrupts in order to properly receive RF (via RF69 module).

Hi,

what about I2C ?
It basically works with ESP8266 (NodeMCU), but on WeMos it fails all the time (for me).

Does it work ?

BR
Gawan

Hello ?
Anyone out there ?

Arduino 1.6.7...will it be support for ESP8266 ....How do install the driver for the same?

Hello,

D1mini works fine with Arduino 1.6.8 and drivers&examples from wemos.cc website. I installed additional packages according to the instructions here http://www.wemos.cc/tutorial/get_started_in_arduino.html
using easiest way (without git).

HelloServer from ESP8266WebServer compiles without any errors/warnings and D1mini nicely connects to the home wifi router.

@ msveden.
Did you success in the meantime? I have the same board (shield) and try to upload a different FW (ESPeasy). But I always got the same message like you.
Maybe this topic can help you to be able to access with AT-commands:
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=356174.new

Deusy:
@ msveden.
Did you success in the meantime? I have the same board (shield) and try to upload a different FW (ESPeasy). But I always got the same message like you.
Maybe this topic can help you to be able to access with AT-commands:
What's the use of ESP-12E ESP8266 UART WIFI Wireless Shield - Project Guidance - Arduino Forum

This thread is for discussion of the WeMos D1: http://www.wemos.cc/Products/d1.html. This is an ESP8266 based board, not a shield(even though it has been incorrectly advertised as a shield in some Aliexpress listings I found). Please don't get off topic people. If you have questions or information regarding the shield shown in msveden's post please do so in the thread for that shield What's the use of ESP-12E ESP8266 UART WIFI Wireless Shield - Project Guidance - Arduino Forum.

Are there any incompatibilities noted by any users of this? I suspect the board will be much faster than the Arduino (given the 32-bit architecture).

The URL and pictures posted originally by WeMos are down

0xSAM:
Are there any incompatibilities noted by any users of this?

You will definitely find that some sketches and libraries that run fine on other Arduino boards will not be compatible but the ESP8266 Arduino core does help to minimize this somewhat. One thing that got me when I first started using it is that the digital pin numbering is handled differently. On regular Arduino boards you just use the pin number(e.g. 13) but on the ESP8266 you have to put a D in front of it(e.g. D13) so this will cause a lot of breakage of any code that relies on pin numbers and you can't use the Dn pin names on regular Arduino boards either. Hardware wise you will also encounter a lot of incompatibility because it runs at 3.3V instead of the 5V of most Arduino boards so any shield or component that puts out a 5v signal will need level shifters to bring it down to 3.3V. The other hardware incompatibility you may have is that there's only one analog pin, A0. The headers where you would expect the rest of the the analog pins on an Uno are not connected. One thing I thought was nice about the D1 is that they put a voltage divider on A0 so it can handle up to 3.2V maximum input instead of the 1V max that the ESP8266 can handle without the voltage divider.

0xSAM:
I suspect the board will be much faster than the Arduino (given the 32-bit architecture).

Yes, but it does have to handle all the WiFi processing also.

0xSAM:
The URL and pictures posted originally by WeMos are down

D1(retired) http://www.wemos.cc/Products/d1.html

D1 R2 http://www.wemos.cc/Products/d1_r2.html

I'd be interested in hearing a comparison of the differences between the D1 and the D1 R2. From a quick look it seems like the main difference is the SDA and SCL pins are connected to the pins where A4 and A5 would be on the Uno as well as D1 and D2. Other than that there are a couple of differences in the schematic but don't have a clue whether they represent improvements. If I'm not mistaken, the voltage regulator on the R2 is way smaller.

I accidentally bought my D1 because it was advertised as a shield. I think I prefer the smaller form factor of the NodeMCU boards which are also significantly cheaper. I suppose the shield compatibility could be a benefit but I think many Arduino shields are not 3.3V I/O compatible. WeMos did do an excellent job of providing documentation and there is a Board menu entry for all the D1 versions in the ESP8266 Arduino core. I installed the core, plugged in my D1, and uploaded a sketch without a single problem.

can any one tell me if there is any digital pins free.... it sounds strange that all 13 pins is used
then the board cant be used for any thing other than reading a analog pin and there is only one analog pin on it.

the board i have is Wemos D1 (discontinuet) not r1/r2

if any one out there have some thing i can build with it please help me

a55830:
can any one tell me if there is any digital pins free.... it sounds strange that all 13 pins is used
then the board cant be used for any thing other than reading a analog pin and there is only one analog pin on it.

the board i have is Wemos D1 (discontinuet) not r1/r2

if any one out there have some thing i can build with it please help me

Sorry, I can't understand what you're asking. Please give more details.

Regarding the analog input pin: Yes ESP8266 only has one and it can't be used as a digital pin like you can do on other Arduino boards such as Uno, Mega, etc.

hi
does someone have this nice pinout for D1 r2 too?
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=147582.0
and maybe all of these power, i2c, SPI etc areas should be added too, because at the moment i have no idea what are the IOL and IOH pins supposed to be..... from here:
https://wiki.wemos.cc/_media/products:d1:d1_v2.0.0.pdf

the top of the IOH are probably i2c and all of the rest are SPI? and what are the AD pins supposed to be? all not analog then?

thx