RoboCup Junior Arduino-based Soccer Robots

This video shows robots playing soccer in the style of Robocup Junior Soccer B League. All robots are designed, built and programmed by young students up to 19 years.

Complubot team robots are based on a multi-processor architecture with four Arduino processors each. Some of the opposing teams using high-performance processor as Blackfin. This is the result:

very cool, it looks like speed won.

Not really, Complubot robots have a maximum speed of 1m / s (for now) and the German team's robots TnT exceed 2m / s. The motor power is also different: 18W (Complubot) vs 150W (TnT). I think the biggest difference is the stability of the robots (fewer errors) and how to play (algorithms).

Perhaps the simplicity of the Arduino platform allows young students to work on other things 8)

HI!

Nice robots,
I am also a Robocup Junior competitor,
And i am also using arduino as my processor although i am only using 1 arduino mega,
I hope to make robots as good as yours someday xD.

complubot:
Not really, Complubot robots have a maximum speed of 1m / s (for now) and the German team's robots TnT exceed 2m / s. The motor power is also different: 18W (Complubot) vs 150W (TnT). I think the biggest difference is the stability of the robots (fewer errors) and how to play (algorithms).

Perhaps the simplicity of the Arduino platform allows young students to work on other things 8)

Are you motors 18w per motor? or 18w all motors together ,and team TNT's robots had 3x 12w motors not 150w, here is the link proving that:
http://tnt-robotik.de/Feldspieler-2010.html
and team TNT also used a coprocessor besides the blackfin.
also, how did you interface 4 arduino's ?

Regards

Jak24

I am also a Robocup Junior competitor

Fantastic, what is your team name?, Soccer A Soccer B, primary, secondary?

Are you motors 18w per motor?

No, my students use 4 x 4.5W motors

TNT's robots had 3x 12w motors not 150w

Perhaps I misunderstood or maybe the web information is not updated to October 2010

how did you interface 4 arduino's ?

Using the serial port

HI!

complubot:
Fantastic, what is your team name?, Soccer A Soccer B, primary, secondary?

i am in soccer A primary , my team name is amini, but this year we are changing it to hunrobot,
we have been to 2 robocups (09, 10) and plan on going to Istanbul, but this year I am planning to build
brand new and highly improved robots.

complubot:
No, my students use 4 x 4.5W motors

I'm guessing they are maxonmotors as almost everyone uses them ( i am also using maxon's, but they are 15W each)
I would like to learn more about your latest robots as your website:
http://complubot.educa.madrid.org/inicio.php?seccion=principal
doesn't seem to have the information about your latest robot :stuck_out_tongue:

Regards

Jak24

doesn't seem to have the information about your latest robot smiley-razz

You can find complete information on a simple soccer robot with Arduino here http://complubot.educa.madrid.org/proyectos/ardusoccerbot/ardusoccerbot_index.php :smiley:

At this time we do not have updated information on our website on the latest robots. We try to be adding content as soon as we can but now they are working for the next competitions. Have you any information about your robots on your site?

Hi!

complubot:

doesn't seem to have the information about your latest robot smiley-razz

You can find complete information on a simple soccer robot with Arduino here http://complubot.educa.madrid.org/proyectos/ardusoccerbot/ardusoccerbot_index.php :smiley:

yes i have seen that tutorial , but still if you ever get the time to update your website with information about your new robots, please inform me.

complubot:
Have you any information about your robots on your site?

Unfortunately my website is being built right now, and since i am getting ready for robocup the website will probably only be online after robocup.
Anyway, i would like to ask you some questions about your latest robots, i would be very grateful if you could answer them:
What kind of motor did you use, as maxon has quite a variety of motors (what voltage, what gearbox/encoder etc...)
Why did you require 4 arduino's on your robot, as atleast for me 1 arduino mega is quite enough.
And finally what kind of kicker(solenoid) did you use for kicking the ball, and what kind of step-up(dc to dc) converter circuit did yo use to power the solenoid?

Thanks
Regards

Jak24

Unfortunately my students do not have much technical information published robots at this time. Most teams in the RCJ not give precise details of their robots, this is normal, these are robots for competition.

This weekend I asked my students to put RCJ 2010 posters on our website. I hope you find them useful:

i compete in robocup soccer too
i am hoping to build an arduino robot similar to these ones.
when i get mine going i am hoping to provide extensive data on how it has been built.
if you are looking for help with cheap sensors i have already done all the hard work setting them up for my robot and i would be happy to share the program. They can see the ball from at least 5m away and can tell how far the ball is away from the sensor.

Hi dockedrockets,
I'm also an Participant in Robocup Soccer.

Although we've already a somewhat working solution to detect the ball it would be cool if you could share your findings :slight_smile:

i have been experimenting with TSOP1138 s. These are really good because they can see really far and they filter out ambient IR. but ordinarily they return either a high or a low. The roboball (v2) does not send out either and on or an off however. it ends out 16 different amplitudes slowly increasing in power. then resetting to zero. this means that there is a threshold in this period of time where the tsop will no longer be able to see the ball. this means that you can see distance with a digital sensor.

you connect the two pins close together to 5v and gnd with a 100R resistor on the Vs line. (the Vs line is the line connected to 5v and it is to the right when thee curve is facing you)The last pin to digital pin 2

int ir = 0 ;
int x = 0 ;
void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600);
pinMode(2, INPUT);
}

void loop() {
while(x <= 16){
int sensorValue = digitalRead(2);
if (sensorValue>0){
ir++ ;
}