Error code 'constructor, destructor, type etc.

As a relatively new to C++ (Arduino) hobbyist, and although having spent many years in the electronics, scientific, and engineering instrument world, familiar with computers and programming (Basic, GWBasic, DOS etc.,) including the writing of technical manuals, I have to say I find the Arduino code quite confusing. The error codes themselves are tricky enough to quantify, but some like the 'constructor......type' defy a rational explanation i.e., in respect to any reference terms. I can find no mention of these terms whatsoever, and as Arduino appears to be aimed at the hobby world and not NASA spaceship building, I think a little more assistance from the engineering elite would be most useful. Without wishing to cause offence, it would appear to me that there is an air of perceived arrogance amongst some of those who answer queries that are in themselves derogatory to the innocence of those asking the questions that are baffling to them.

When I wrote manuals for the equipment I had designed/manufactured I was always careful to place myself in the role of the recipient, who often had little idea of my level of understanding - they simply wanted to use the product, not undertake a degree in physics to do so.

A good example would be learning to fly. Some years ago I took flying lessons, there were a whole lot of rules and regulations, and handbooks (very thorough) explaining all that was required. I did not have to study aeronautical engineering!

So, thank you for the opportunity to make my first post in the interests of a great hobby, and perhaps some wise heads could come together and suggest a better way of teaching this subject - a good start would be to actually spell out what most of the reference terms mean, some of which are often not encountered until university.

Thank you to all of those contributors who do try to make a difference. If I can come up with a way of making things better, I will, but only after I myself discover how!
Cheers, George :o

Is there a question?

If you are having trouble with words such as constructor and destructor, you should remember that C++ is an object oriented language and these words are going to be common.

The Arduino IDE uses gcc for its compiler. gcc is a really good compiler but, similar to many other compilers, its error messages are terse and assume knowledge of the language. It may not be a good way to be but at least it is free.

A good example would be learning to fly. Some years ago I took flying lessons, there were a whole lot of rules and regulations, and handbooks (very thorough) explaining all that was required. I did not have to study aeronautical engineering!

If the books you were using were written in Turkish, would you have found them as useful?

You are trying to learn a new language, while expecting all the interactions with the teacher to be in the language you are comfortable with. Get over it.

skyflyerblue:
I can find no mention of these terms whatsoever, and as Arduino appears to be aimed at the hobby world

The Arduino uses standard C++ coupled with some specialized functions (such as digitalRead() )to make it easier for newbies to use the system.

The Arduino Reference system describes the Arduino-specific functions.

For information about the more general aspects of the C++ language I refer to the cplusplus website

...R