broken arduino?

Hey guys.
First I installed the IDE, then I connected the board to the pc with the provided USB cable. In the bottom right, a window popped up saying something along the lines "installing 2.0 serial". I then checked that I have the right board and port selected. I had only two ports available, COM1 and COM4, then I unplugged to Arduino and the COM4 port disappeared so I concluded that I had the right port chosen. Then I just went to examples and tried uploading the "blink" one. The green bar on the bottom right stopped at full and after a minute or so of waiting there was an error. I went to the troubleshooting guide and tried to follow it to the best of my abilities... I switched the USB cable, went into device manager and tried manually updating the drivers but I already had the latest ones installed. I guess I should also mention that the "ON" LED is in fact, on.
I'd appreciate any help :slight_smile:

Please post the full text of the error message. Use the button to copy the error message, and post it using code tags (the </> button in upper right when making a post). Without these errors we couldn't fathom a guess at what the problem is.

Whenever you ask for assistance with any technical problem, you should always post the full text of any and all error message. Error messages contain valuable information, even if you don't know what it means, someone here will.

I also forgot to mention my OS and the error message so here you go:

Arduino: 1.8.7 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Sketch uses 930 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xdd
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xdd
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xdd
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xdd
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xdd
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xdd
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xdd
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xdd
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xdd
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xdd
Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

DrAzzy:
Please post the full text of the error message. Use the button to copy the error message, and post it using code tags (the </> button in upper right when making a post). Without these errors we couldn't fathom a guess at what the problem is.

Whenever you ask for assistance with any technical problem, you should always post the full text of any and all error message. Error messages contain valuable information, even if you don't know what it means, someone here will.

One thing that I also forgot to mention is that I obviously know that the arduino is on COM4, it shows up in device manager, but when I go to tools, ports, the "Serial ports" is grayed out.
I'm sorry but I don't know how any of this stuff works, I'm very new to this.

(deleted)

spycatcher2k:
You also forgot to tell us which Arduino you have, or if real a clone?

It is a clone, an arduino uno r3.

(deleted)

spycatcher2k:
So NOT an Arduino then. It's an UNO r3 compatible. Could you tell us what chip it has next to the USB port, and/or a link to the manufacturers web site (Where the drivers are likely to be). :wink:

I don't have a link to the manufacturers web site but the "chip" next to the usb port is the "wch ch340g" (I don't know if this is the one you mean)
I should mention that I looked alot on google how to solve this but nothing that I tries fixed it, I also installed the drivers again (these ones):

(deleted)

spycatcher2k:
Did you restart your computer after the install?

Also, do you have anything plugged into the UNO, other than the USB?

Yes, I did restart the pc.
Nope, just the usb.
I also tried to press the reset button just before uploading the code, also didn't work.

You need to down load and I install the CH340 driver for your PC , it should then be ok. That driver, for these clone boards, is not included with the Arduino PC software.

Google for this driver , there are also you tube vids of “ fixing Chinese clone Arduino”.