What are the Pros and Cons of the Wifi Rev2 compared to other Wifi boards?

Hello,

I am thinking seriously about purchasing the more expensive UNO Wifi Rev2 compared to other Wifi boards. I already have ESP8266 (the Wemos D1 R2 as well as D1 mini) and ESP32 (NODEMCU) dev boards so, i'm wondering if it's worth purchasing the Wifi Rev2 and what advantages i would get from using it over the ESP boards that i already own. Would it be easier to get certain things done? Like, which ones?

I think a table showing the benefits of using the Wifi rev2 compared to other Wifi boards would be a great idea to market this product. :slight_smile:

no other board has the attractive name "Arduino Uno WiFi" and the associated list of functions.

two years ago I didn't know anything about Arduino and I choose to buy Arduino Uno WiFi (Developer Edition) because it was much cheaper then Uno with WiFi shield. I had no clue about esp8266 'arduino'.

And then I discovered it doesn't have a library for basic TCP communication I needed for Modbus, only HTTP at port 80.

Then I found a new firmware and library are developed and available on GitHub, but without any documentation. I found out how to install it and how to make it better and I documented it. And then I made it better for all Uno WiFi owners with a new implementation of the on-board serial adapter connecting the on board esp8266 and more important, the documentation for this Arduino.org created and then orphaned board.

I think the only bad thing is the fact that the atmega4809 has a different architecture than the other ones. Especially for programming in Assembler this is a bit harder than on the old ones. Mainly though because there is just not as much documentation for it as for the other ones.

I think the perfect Arduino UNO Wifi board would have the ATmega328P. Maybe it will be released one day in a different model? Hopefully thinking... sigh

DryRun:
I think the perfect Arduino UNO Wifi board would have the ATmega328P. Maybe it will be released one day in a different model? Hopefully thinking... sigh

it is here: http://download.whatsnext.shop/datasheets/wn00009.pdf

this was developed by Arduino.org as Uno WiFi 'standard edition'. and "whatsnext" are the same people.
it has 328p with esp8266 on SPI. no schematics. no support.