Use 555 to send switch state every 5 minutes?

Hello, I am trying to make a simple circuit using 555 timer that turns on a circuit every 5 minutes and stays on for 5 seconds then restarts. I cannot figure out how this would work without an arduino to do it. Is it possible to use maybe multiple 555 ic or maybe some other micro controller? Thanks for the advice-
Taylor

Advice is: Give the details. This is called the "XY Problem".

What is the circuit that you want to turn on. Why?

Are you running from batteries, if so, what batteries are you proposing?

How accurate does it need to be? Why?

What Paul said.

turns on a circuit every 5 minutes and stays on for 5 seconds then restarts.

From this, it sounds like you want the circuit to wait for for 5 minutes, turn on for 5 seconds, wait 5 minutes, turn on for 5 seconds, wait 5 minutes.... etc indefinitely.
If it can turn on for 5 seconds initially, then off 5 min etc etc, an NE555 or CMOS 555 could do it easily in astable mode with the right components.

Any micro chip could do it, an ATtiny would be fine, but you probably don't need more than the 555 and a couple of external components.

please give all the details of your assignment. what is your instructor allowing you to use and what are they requiring you to use ?

any Arduino can do this with simple programming.

if you must use a 555, you will need two.
if you can use a 556, then one.

long duration

feed the output to the other 555, then that one will re-start the first 555

dave-in-nj:
if you must use a 555, you will need two.
if you can use a 556, then one.

long duration
Long Duration Adjustable Timer Using 555 | Circuit Diagram

feed the output to the other 555, then that one will re-start the first 555

Why 2? Why not a single 555 astable with a steering diode? 5 seconds high, 5 minutes low.

Edit: Like in the attached diagram.

What are you turning on? If you can use a low side switch, then the 555 can drive a transistor. The basic astable configuration has a longer HIGH than LOW, so with the transistor inverting this, you'll get a longer LOW than HIGH.

You could also use an MSI counter or two with a 5 second clock and use an and gate so that when all bits are correct for five minutes it resets.

polymorph:
The basic astable configuration has a longer HIGH than LOW, so with the transistor inverting this, you'll get a longer LOW than HIGH.

That limitation does not exist when a steering diode is used as per my diagram in reply #5. Did you not see it?
The high and low times are completely separate and independent of each other.

Everybody wants to complicate the issue with extra unnecessary parts. An NPN transistor might still be used, maybe even in conjunction with a PNP transistor, depending on whether high-side or low-side switching was needed. Possibly a MOSFET for the actual switching element, but nothing for inverting the 555 output.

As this is an Arduino forum...
You could always use an ATtiny85 (has same pin count as a 555) and program it for what you need.

I agree with Riva. If you are on this forum you should be asking how to do it with an ATtiny85, NOT 555s , (which , by the way, I built a zillion complex timing circuits with back in 1982, but would never go through that again). I can provide a photo but it would probably scare you to death.

Tribute 82 Photos-2.pdf (829 KB)

The OP hasn't bothered returning since his initial post, despite the time and effort others have tried to put in to help him.

OldSteve, I was pointing out that if you -do- use an NPN as a low side switch, the steering diode is unnecessary.

The best part of using an ATTiny85 is that all of the funky stuff becomes unnecessary and it is much easier to change.

polymorph:
OldSteve, I was pointing out that if you -do- use an NPN as a low side switch, the steering diode is unnecessary.

If an NPN transistor is used as a low-side switch, driven from the 555's output, it will still switch on when the output is high, taking the transistor's base high and pulling the transistor's collector low, so the diode is still needed because the duty cycle will be less than 50%.

The best part of using an ATTiny85 is that all of the funky stuff becomes unnecessary and it is much easier to change.

I just completed a similar project. It was an automatic watch-winder, ran a DC motor CW for 5 min, then stopped for 20 min before running the motor for 5 min CCW, ad infinitum.
I was guiding someone on the 'Electronics Point' forums, and because he doesn't use Arduinos, I drew up a 555/4013 circuit, with a DPDT relay for motor reversing.
After seeing him bang his head against a wall for weeks trying to make it and making mistake after mistake, I just made a small board myself. And yes, I used an ATtiny85. :smiley:
It drove a BC548 for relay coil power, and a 2SK2231 MOSFET for putting power to the relay common for the motor reversing. It goes in the mail in the morning. Turned out to be much quicker to do it myself than continually try to diagnose his problems remotely. :slight_smile:

OldSteve:
Turned out to be much quicker to do it myself than continually try to diagnose his problems remotely. :slight_smile:

That's about the size of it.

Doh! I claim brain fart. Or typing too fast. OldSteve is correct, using an NPN as a lowside switch still requires a steering diode.

If you use a PNP transistor as a high side switch, you don't need the steering diode.

"steering diode ?"
is that the same as a "flyback diode " ?

polymorph:
Doh! I claim brain fart. Or typing too fast. OldSteve is correct, using an NPN as a lowside switch still requires a steering diode.

We all have those moments. :smiley:

raschemmel, no, we were talking about a diode used in a 555 timer circuit so that the normal limit on duty cycle that only allows shorter Off than On times can be reversed.

Oh, ok. You're steering the Discharge (page-3) voltage to the trigger input.