Building a chassis ear

Hi i'm building a chassis ear. It's an electret microphone that is attached to a metal clamp used to measure vibrations and noises.The first part is easy microphone and amplifier.

Where i'm having trouble is finding information on Fast fourrier transform or FFT.

I would like to be able to view the signal, to see the frequencies and amplitude either on serial display or a screen.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This link should help:- ArduinoFFT - Open Music Labs Wiki

ggsxx1:
Hi i'm building a chassis ear. It's an electret microphone that is attached to a metal clamp used to measure vibrations and noises.The first part is easy microphone and amplifier.

To sense vibration effectively (and accurately) its best to use a specialized sensor, electrets couple to air
well, but not the mounting itself (electret diaphragms are very thin).

To sense vibration of a solid object you ideally want a transducer with a high mass armature that will
try to stay still through inertia as the mounting point vibrates. Such a transducer will ignore ambient
noises in the air. The kind of exciter used to drive flat panels of material like a speaker spring to mind
as a possible transducer to experiment with.

I will use an electret disc which doesn't use air to make it vibrate. This is what is commonly used on the market right now.

Grumpy_Mike:
This link should help:- ArduinoFFT - Open Music Labs Wiki

Thanks a lot Gumpy!