Integrate Large LCD touch-screen with physical push buttons

Hi

I am hoping someone can help me.
I am currently involved in a project where I wish to use a large (3" - 5") LCD display with my Arduino mega. However, I do not wish to use it as a touch screen, since the user will most probably be using gloves and working with sensitive materials.
I wish to use physical push buttons (preferable on a key pay (up/down/left/right arrows) of sorts) and communicate with the LCD display.

I would like to use the push button arrows to navigate the cursor (by highlighting , or encasing the selected item in a menu) on the display, whilst having real time stepper motor readings always visible (possibly next to the list of menu items).
I cannot find any tutorials that discuss this or show me that this is possible.

Is this possible? And if so, where should I look for lcd types and code?

Thank you
Kind Regards
Scott

I did this for a job.

5 buttons: left, right, top, bottom, Enter

You have to keep track of where you are on the display.

Invert the character at position of the cursor to let the user know where the cursor is located.

Fun project.

Hi Scott,

It looks like you have a rather exciting project in mind and as ieee488 has mentioned, it is definitely doable.

The implementation ieee488 has described works great for a basic LCD module, and you can see an example of how that might look, complete with code, in the Arduino Intelligent Series I2C Application Note we have published here.

If you’d like to implement a similar menu on a full colour TFT module, you can take a look at the GTT29A Demo Design that was created with display Designer Software. For more information regarding using this type of GTT display, check out this post on the forums.

Please keep in mind that I do represent Matrix Orbital and can full support every one of our products, but all of the links provided here are to free resources that you can use to develop your own project on a display of your choosing.

Cheers,
Troy