SIMPLE SERVER NOT SIMPLE

I just purchased the Ethernet shield V2. As I have a large project I have been working on in version .022, I have stuck with it until I am done. I decided to load the "simple server" as that is closer to what I am wanting it for.The only thing I changed was the IP address. I spent 3 days trying to get it to compile with no luck. As a last try I loaded 1.01 of the ide. It compiled and ran perfectly! i reloaded it in .022 does not compile! I went back to http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/WebServer. Nowhere on that page does it say that you needed the latest ide! Are not those sample sketches to help newbies? Is this helpful?

Jim

Well... the 0022 version of Arduino advertises itself as "Alpha" on the splash screen (also see the About menu item).

This page: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software says "These packages are not supported any longer by the development team" and then lists every release from 1.0 downwards.

The problem is that various changes were made in version 1.0 onwards which required some rewriting. At least the Tutorial pages work with the latest release. Changing them to have lots of conditional stuff about "if release 0022 do this, else do that" would make the tutorials cluttered.

Personally I wish the release version was more compatible with the earlier versions, but I have no control over this stuff.

alfiesty:
I spent 3 days trying to get it to compile with no luck.

If an unmodified tutorial doesn't work, I would post a query here before 3 days, myself. Someone else may spot it faster.

I agree with everything you said, however:
I am using several libraries NOT in the distro and did not to break them
I got to the simple server page with an Internet search not through the libraries page
Just putting a warning in the code about .02X vs 1.0 is pretty simple
Maybe they did not want to follow the Microsoft example ie. downward compatibility forever

Jim

Maybe they did not want to follow the Microsoft example ie. downward compatibility forever

Is that supposed to be funny? You are referring to a web server, correct? There is nothing really simple about that.

BTW, are you still using MS-DOS 3.1?