Burning the Bootloader without  AVR-Writer

I found the method to write in bootloader at by Diecimila oneself without external AVR-writer.

Plese visit this page

http://www.geocities.jp/arduino_diecimila/bootloader/index_en.html

This page was generated by Japanese - English automatic translator.

Uh, very interesting!

(I was trying to reply your previous post, but it disapeared! But I've found it here again.)

If it works as described, people that asked about X3 connector functionality (in many posts) will achieve an answer.

[edit]I was thinking if it would be possible to use this method to upload a sketch without the bootloader, instead of to burn the bootloader, the same way we do using an external programmer.[/edit]

cool :slight_smile:

now that I've just ordered an avr writer, I'll have two.

I'll give it a try as soon as possible ! This is really interesting stuff !!

kimio, this sems to work with an Arduino NG. The pinout is exactly the same so no changes needed.
I don't have any blank ATm168 (only a spare one with the bootloader already burned) so I haven't yet tried to upload the bootloader, but the first tests are ok, avrdude-serjtag returns 0x1e9406.
Thanks a lot man, now I can finally write any ATm168 with the Arduino only ^^

There was a mistake about writing the lock-bit in my Web page. I corrected it.
When you test please see the new page.
Regards.

Hi,

I have to do a rev B of the LEDuino ( http://siliconrailway.com ) board.

I have had this type of programming mechanism working on other things, particularly an ATmega128 based board. Would anyone care to comment on the desirability of including this as a feature on a new spin?

John

I saw this earlier on but didn't have any headers, so I bought some and was ready to go, to see that the page went down. Google has it in cache, but without the pictures and I really could use those, anyone got a different guide / mirror? (couldn't find them on google myself, but I did try)

That is pretty sweet :slight_smile: It would be cool if there was a "burn bootloader with avrdude-serjtag" arduino option.

the page went down. Google has it in cache, but without the pictures and I really could use those, anyone got a different guide / mirror? (couldn't find them on google myself, but I did try)

Ummm, FWIW the page is still there for me...

--Phil.

Well, I did not receive my blanck mega168, so I erased the only one with the bootloader that I had. Trying to upload from the Arduino IDE returned an error. Normal. I burned the bootloader with the avrdude-serjtag, it worked perfectly ^^

I think I'll soon try to burn a .hex file written with AVRstudio or other, to see if this works (don't see why it shouldn't), and I'll try to order some tiny13 and/or other avr chips, to try to use this programmer to burn programs on ohter chips ...

So, the only thing I can say : thanks again kimio ^^

Kimio : you might want to add your technique to the playground, on this page

There are still a lot of people asking about burning the bootloader, and a lot still answers with "you need to buy an external programmer"

Cheers

I tried your instructions yesterday since my Diecimila went dead (rapidly flashing LED L, bootloader not responding). Worked like charm! Thank you very much! I tried for hours to find a working solution for the FT232R bit-bang mode without success before coming across your page. Should definitely be mentioned on all the important Wiki pages.

I did it a bit differently that you suggest though: I soldered a female header into X3 so I can use the same cables I have anyway for working with Breaboards. The cables I connected to the 11-13 and RESET pins (reset pin is probably not really necessary since it's possible to use the auto-reset traces).

I had to call avrdude by hand though. Is there any documentation on the programmers.txt file? I couldn't figure out how to integrate the new programmer.

Thanks for the good work! Saved my day :slight_smile:
Greetings,
Sebastian

PS: I added a fourth wire to RESET after taking the picture:

Kimio : you might want to add your technique to the playground, on this page
http://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Bootloader

There are still a lot of people asking about burning the bootloader, and a lot still answers with "you need to buy an external programmer"

Cheers

I wouldn't consider this as "hacking", but regular usage :slight_smile:

There's already a link to his site in the playground: Arduino Playground - AvrdudeFTDIBitbang

If he likes to add in depth explanations, I suggest to bundle it there and not split it to several different locations.
Or at least add crosslinks to each article.

Looks great- anyway this could work with a mac and a terminal?
If so Id love to hear it! Lots of folks who use arduino use it because its one of the few mac friendly micorcontroller systems out there....
Thanks!
Raphael

I used a Mac to flash my Arduino! Instructions work with very few changes. Can't remember exactly, but most likely you only have to adjust the device file used.

could you be a little clearer- for example are you using the terminal ?
R

Aaaah, that was rubbish, sorry. Now I remembered: I actually used Windows in a Parallels VM. Sorry for the confusion :slight_smile:

! ah you got my hopes up!

I use avrdude and the AVRispmkII (USB model) on Mac OS to burn bootloader to hand-built Arduino clones, as well as program Arduino derived circuits.

-j