Powering the 101 with 3.7V Lipo

Hey guys,
i'm searching for an efficient way of making my 101 project battery powered and as small as possible at the same time. Until now i simply powered it with a 9V battery on the Vin port. What do i have to take into account when i want to power the 101 with a 3.7V Lipo?

I thought about connecting the Lipo to a Lipo charging board first and its output to a 5V Step-up Booster which is directly going into the 5V pin of the 101. But since the 101 is internaly working 3.3V i'm a bit confused if these are the right components? Besides, i have to power a small mobile vibration motor and an external bluetooth modul at the same time (which are now connected to the 5V pin).

Any help is very appreciated!

Just connect it to GND and VIN

Better to remember that a FULLY charged lipo 3.7 starts out quite a bit higher than 3.7 volts ! There is another thread I am going to point you at as it covers the same aspect for a different board

This should help you out.

Your idea of a charger to a booster etc. is much better than just connecting to VIN.

The 3.3v and 5v pins are post-voltage regulator, so you should only use those to power the 101 if you have a reliably regulated voltage of 3.3 or 5v. The VIN pin wants 6-12v, and I've had problems with the 101 rebooting when there's a power draw impulse (like a motor) when the power to VIN is right at 6v.

One solution that works well for me is using the tiny $4 Pololu step-up regulators to take 3AA's to 12v to the VIN pin. That might work for a lipo as well. The 4v-12v conversion is not the most efficient, but projects built that way seem to run a long time for me and can handle moderate loads.

Also if you're looking for small size, have you checked out the DFRobot Curie-Nano? It should behave the same as the 101, but it's smaller and includes a dedicated 3.7v lipo input.

Thank you so much! This helps a lot! In fact i wasn't aware of the DFRobot Curie-Nano, which will fit my current project better than the 101 indeed! Thanks for the explanation and the hint!

lucasainsworth:
The 3.3v and 5v pins are post-voltage regulator, so you should only use those to power the 101 if you have a reliably regulated voltage of 3.3 or 5v. The VIN pin wants 6-12v, and I've had problems with the 101 rebooting when there's a power draw impulse (like a motor) when the power to VIN is right at 6v.

One solution that works well for me is using the tiny $4 Pololu step-up regulators to take 3AA's to 12v to the VIN pin. That might work for a lipo as well. The 4v-12v conversion is not the most efficient, but projects built that way seem to run a long time for me and can handle moderate loads.

Also if you're looking for small size, have you checked out the DFRobot Curie-Nano? It should behave the same as the 101, but it's smaller and includes a dedicated 3.7v lipo input.

Thank you very much for pointing to this, this helps a lot!

Ballscrewbob:
Better to remember that a FULLY charged lipo 3.7 starts out quite a bit higher than 3.7 volts ! There is another thread I am going to point you at as it covers the same aspect for a different board

This should help you out.

Your idea of a charger to a booster etc. is much better than just connecting to VIN.