Robot Platform using a Netbook

No need for XBee - likely the netbook already has 802.11n/g on it (WiFi ethernet); instead, set up a webserver or something on the netbook that communicates with the Arduino, then use a browser on -any- remote PC (or phone) with WiFi to hit the server (you may want some basic security controls in place - WPA, MAC/IP address filtering, and such).

Doh, what was I thinking? LOL.

The only real thing to worry about with wifi is the available coverage and usable range. Inside the
house is probably ok. When I read Lynxmotion 4WD platform I immediately started "daydreaming" of
operating my own 4WD out in the field with the robot running free, driving over rocks, and reading
GPS! LOL.

Right now, I'm working on a small ServoTank for inside operation, but have a couple of RC platforms
that hopefully I'll convert to robotics this summer. One will be large enough to carry a netbook,
but I am not counting on very good range for video transmission via wifi.

An XBee Pro should have much larger direct-line control range, I think, so I plan to do that first, and
maybe experiment with wifi secondarily.

#1 priority is .... have the robot constantly check for a 'heartbeat' signal from the homebase PC, and
if this is lost, then either stop, or else backup over its previous path until it picks up the signal again.
Think - redundant systems and no runaways.