Adruino Uno and programming chips

Hello all, this is my first post I would like to say hi as I don't see a introduction section. I just received my Arduino Uno in the mail, coded my first blinking LED and I love it. Now I have a sequence of blinking LED's I want to put in a project, but I don't want to use up my Arduino Uno for that. Is there a way the Arduino Uno can program a chip to copy over the function that I programed onto the Uno. How do I get the code I wrote in the Uno to a chip so I can make the project without loosing my Uno.

Thanks for the help in advance.
-Nick

Hi.

The keyword is "standalone"...
https://www.google.com/search?q=arduino+standalone

So one way is to write your sketch and upload it into the Uno board. Then power off the board, remove the 328p chip from it's socket and move it to your standalone PCB or breadboard or wired into a larger project. Then just buy a new $5 328p chip/with bootloader preinstalled into your arduino board. Lather, rinse, and repeat as required. If you progress into burning your own bootloader on to blank chips you can save a couple of dollars per cycle.

Lefty

sweet thanks for the info. Is there a layout that I can see which pins do what for the 328p chip.

Thanks again.

retrolefty:
So one way is to write your sketch and upload it into the Uno board. Then power off the board, remove the 328p chip from it's socket and move it to your standalone PCB or breadboard or wired into a larger project. Then just buy a new $5 328p chip/with bootloader preinstalled into your arduino board. Lather, rinse, and repeat as required. If you progress into burning your own bootloader on to blank chips you can save a couple of dollars per cycle.

Lefty

How do you do that if you've got a Uno with an SMD chip?

Henry_Best:

You don't; You use the Uno to program any new chip you get.

Henry_Best:

retrolefty:

Lefty

Well of course you don't. The UNO SMD board was first released when there was a industry shortage/long lead time delay on the DIP 328p chips making the delivery of the standard Uno delayed/backordered. Today there is no good reason to buy a SMD uno over a DIP uno board, and several good reasons to buy the DIP version. Easy repair for damaged AVR chip. Easy development for standalone chips. Are they priced differently? Again a SMD Uno is a poor choice as long as the DIP version is available.

Lefty

retrolefty:

Henry_Best:

Well of course you don't. The UNO SMD board was first released when there was a industry shortage/long lead time delay on the DIP 328p chips making the delivery of the standard Uno delayed/backordered. Today there is no good reason to buy a SMD uno over a DIP uno board, and several good reasons to buy the DIP version. Easy repair for damaged AVR chip. Easy development for standalone chips. Are they priced differently? Again a SMD Uno is a poor choice as long as the DIP version is available.

Lefty

It was a present. I didn't buy it :frowning:

Henry_Best:

retrolefty:

Henry_Best:

Lefty

It was a present. I didn't buy it :frowning:

:smiley: Yes, I use to have an aunt that would buy me funny looking shirts for Christmas. The kind that would get a kid beat up in school if worn.

Lefty

You can pick up the parts you need to make standalone board here for not much:

Atmega328 w/ Arduino UNO Optiboot Bootloader ATMEGA328P-PU - dipmicro electronics bootloaded arduino
Atmel 8-bit Microcontroller ATMEGA328P-PU - dipmicro electronics blank 328
16 MHz crystal
22 pf caps
100nF caps
10K resistor
28 pin socket
perfboard in different sizes
LEDs
current limit resistors, 220 ohm

follow the Arduino as ISP guide as one way to program the part.
Or get a standalone programmer such as
http://www.nkcelectronics.com/pocket-avr-programmer.html

retrolefty:
:smiley: Yes, I use to have an aunt that would buy me funny looking shirts for Christmas. The kind that would get a kid beat up in school if worn.

Lefty

It's a long time since I was in school and nobody here will beat me up for having an SMD Uno, will they? :sweat_smile: