Need Guidance on What Kind of Robot to Build For Project

cr0sh and DuaneDegn,

I do greatly appreciate your advice. But I am afraid I have failed to tell you about my previous robotics experience. I got my Arduino Uno back in 2011. I first experimented with the IDE and got it blinking an LED (easy stuff) to familiarize myself with the board and how to create and upload a sketch. (Note that before that I had previous experience with C++ and programming in general.) Next I started experimenting with sensors. I learned how to read values from analog sensors (specifically a photo resistor in this case). Throughout that year I did some simple devices using push buttons, photo resistors, LEDs, and the like. I used the book "Getting Started with Arduino" by Massimo Banzi as a reference for my very basic projects. This occupied my first year using the Arduino.

Next I got the Arduino Esplora. I used it to experiment with the accelerometer and built-in buzzer (and the microphone as well). During that year I became more experienced with working with a variety of sensors and actuators.

The next year I got some additional electronic parts (resistors, capacitors, etc.) and a PIR sensor. I greatly enjoyed using the PIR sensor to detect my movement. One of my projects using this device was a monitor that searches for movement. If any movement is detected, the Arduino sends back information that motion was detected and also the time since the program started. This was my most difficult project up to date, and it took much patience, but when it was finally finished I was very happy. I suppose you know what it feels like when you have tried again and again to build some device, and it fails again and again. Others laugh at you and tell you to quit, but you continue on and persevere. It is because of your patience to finish what you have started that the project is successful.

After that year I decided it was time to get a board with more processing power and memory. I got the 86Duino One, which although more difficult to configure than the Arduino Uno, was able to provide me with more memory for my programs (something which I was desperately running low on as my projects became more complex). That year I began my first true robotics project. I used my Erector set collection to build a 3-wheeled robot chassis (using 135 and 90 degree brackets to hold the Arduino and other electronics in place). The robot I created took a relatively long time to construct (~6 hours) due to the chassis design decisions, but it was well worth the effort.

Now I believe I am ready to begin experimenting with legged robots. I have already created a wheeled robot before (and I have read Robot Builder's Bonanza (I don't have a copy myself, but I have read it from the library and done a few things)). I would like to obtain a copy of that book as it seems to contain a wealth of information about the topics I am interested in. The humanoid I have mentioned is entry-level; it shouldn't be much harder to make and program than the wheeled robot I made (probably easier, since there are instructions for it). Perhaps you can give me further advice taking into account what I have said above.

Thank you for your time,
goodinventor