RE200B PIR Component

Can anyone help me to make a PIR sensor circuit according to the RE200B and a Fresnel Lens? Datasheet and pictures attached.

Datasheet: http://www.escol.com.my/Datasheets_specs/RE200B.pdf

Connect D (pin 1) to +5V, S (pin 2) to 47 kOhm resistor to ground, and consequently G (pin 3 ) to ground GND.
Then connect S (pin 2) also to analog input pin of arduino. Take a reading using analogRead.

@low5545

Just I post in the posting "op-amp", Connect + 5 to -->choose between 1 K to 4.7 K --> D, S ---> choose between 1 k to 4.7 K --> GND and G is GND. Sorry Magician... I looked at the datasheet, the sensor is a IR detector and a JFET for D & S, there for a commun source amplifier.

I forget, connect a 1 uF to 10 uf in // with resistor connect to S to GND. And you may amplify the signal using op-amp, you may "convert" the signal into TTL. The only way to make sure is to "see" what type of signal you have is to use a "scope" to check & see the signal.

My opinion.

Don't agree, read data sheet again.

1. For max. source capability 2 mA, resistors 1k + 1k are way too low, allow 2.5 mA with 5V power.
  2. Bias voltage of JFET 3.6 - 4.4 V leaving almost nothing for drain resistor, again with 5V.
  3. JFET is a transconductance amplifier, should be wired as common drain :
    Common source - Wikipedia
  4. Capacitor doesn't make any sense at all, as it pure DC amplifier, thermo IR is too slow to react on freq.
    F = ~ 1 / C x R = 1 / 10^-5 x 10^3 = 100 Hz.
  5. The answer is in small font on picture posted - "100 k resistor between pin 2 and 3" (source to ground)

@Magician

My mistake... I agree with you. Forget about the capacitor in this case. It look like the sensor work in "Level changing" , in that case... the signal will be connect to a comparator for a proper level signal ( 0 V or 5 V ) and connect to the Arduino.

Yes, sure OP can use external comparator, but it easier to use analog input port, and implement "software comparator" which could be set to any value in range 0 - 1023. All it would take three pieces of wire and one resistor to attach sensor to arduino.

A "software comparator" like --->

if (analogRead( anyanalogpin) < 512 )
{ // do you thing }
else
{ // do other things }

... that is a simple idea.. I may use that in my projects. Thank Magician...

A "software comparator" like --->

if (analogRead( anyanalogpin) < 512 )
{ // do you thing }
else
{ // do other things }

... that is a simple idea.. I may use that in my projects. Thank Magician...

Tried it. It maintains on 124-126. Too small to see a change. Is a Op-Amp IC like LM324 and a Comparator IC like LM339 able to amplify a compare the signal to produce a 5V/0V Output?

Is a Op-Amp IC like LM324 and a Comparator IC like LM339 able to amplify a compare the signal to produce a 5V/0V Output?

YES. Bear in mind the LM324 need dual power supply. The LM339 do not use a dual power supply. It will work using a +5 V for the LM339.

Insert Quote
Is a Op-Amp IC like LM324 and a Comparator IC like LM339 able to amplify a compare the signal to produce a 5V/0V Output?

YES. Bear in mind the LM324 need dual power supply. The LM339 do not use a dual power supply. It will work using a +5 V for the LM339.

Dual power supply? What does it mean?

It mean a plus side - positive Rail. A negative side - Negative Rail and a commun rail.

---------------------------------- + 5 <-- goes to +V of the op-amp example : pin 7 of a LM741

------------------------------------- GND <-- the commun line for your signal and goes to GND of the Arduino

----------------------------------- - 5 <-- goes to -V of the op-amp. example : pin 4 of a LM741

Here a site : http://www.play-hookey.com/analog/experiments/basic_op_amp_inverter.html
Just "surf" the site.

For what you need is a comparator. A LM339 only need a single supply ( +5 V is OK ) You simply set the voltage "tipping" point. A 50 K potentiometer to set the voltage treshold <-- Tipping point and reference point. Connect to the - or + input The signal of the sensor goes to the + or - input.

I recomment you experiment so you have a better understanding.

http://www.play-hookey.com/analog/comparators.html

How come dual power supply for the LM324? According to the internal circuit above, it is only Single.

@low5545

In general, most op-amps need a dual voltage to operate ex: LM741. In the case of the LM324, It need a single voltage supply connect to pin 4 of the chip and GND at pin 11 of the chip.

My appology for confusing and mislead you.

A +5 V supply may work... ( you have to experiment to check if it is working )

According to the LM324 Op-amp above, if I want to amplify a signal, do I connect it like:

-pin 4 (V+) ------------- 5V
-pin 11 (GND) ---------- Ground
-pin 2 (-input 1) -------- Ground
-pin 3 (+input 1) ------- RE200B PIR Signal Output

-pin 1 (output 1) ------- Amplified signal

Is this connection able to amplify the signal made from the RE200B PIR component? I may need to amplify it a few times with this op-amp IC to get a bigger change.

-pin 4 (V+) ------------- 5V
-pin 11 (GND) ---------- Ground
-pin 2 (-input 1) -------- Ground
-pin 3 (+input 1) ------- RE200B PIR Signal Output

-pin 1 (output 1) ------- Amplified signal

Is this connection able to amplify the signal made from the RE200B PIR component? I may need to amplify it a few times with this op-amp IC to get a bigger change.

Amplify signal in this connection ? NO

The way you connected is a comparator configuration.

How to amplify a circuit then?

Ok, I would like to share a schematic, but I have to go to the cottage. ( Sorry I was not responding to quickly because my modem just "quit" , it "stuck" my telephone line . ) I will try to get some schematics on Monday - late afternoon after I am back from the cottage.

Anyway here a few link : http://www.play-hookey.com about op-amps and a few things, check http://www.falstad.com/, it got a circuit simulator, http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/, Some eclectronics tuturails, http://www.doctronics.co.uk/beastie_zone.htm, more to check out. And Studying Electronics

Anyway, check out those sites, experiments with your sensor. Hope you have a breadboard, a few parts, maybe a scope, but at least a DMV- Digital Multi Meter. I just bought for under $40 at Canadian Tire - Electrical Section. The have a few cheap one in the Automotive Section ( between $25 to $35 )

Sorry that you have a lot to read. That learning is all about

I am back... here a transistor version to amplify the signal. But I still don't know what kind of signal the sensor is using... ( square ?? sine ..?? a DC output ?? )

Here an another amp circuit...I come across yesterday, It cam from EPE mag October 1993.

i am using the same pir sensor re200b and arduino uno r3 for my thesis. fyi, i'm still a newbie about arduino and electronic component. i use the same circuit which is:

G to GND
D to 5V
S to 47k ohm resistor
S to analog input A2
LED to digital output 8, 220 ohm resistor and to GND

i use this coding:

int ledPin = 8; // choose the pin for the LED
int inputPin = A2; // choose the input pin (for PIR sensor)
int pirState = LOW; // we start, assuming no motion detected
int val = 0; // variable for reading the pin status

void setup() {
pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT); // declare LED as output
pinMode(inputPin, INPUT); // declare sensor as input
Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop(){
val = digitalRead(inputPin); // read input value
if (val == HIGH) { // check if the input is HIGH
digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH); // turn LED ON
delay(150);

if (pirState == LOW) {
// we have just turned on
Serial.println("Motion detected!");
// We only want to print on the output change, not state
pirState = HIGH;
}
} else {
digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW); // turn LED OFF
delay(300);
if (pirState == HIGH){
// we have just turned of
Serial.println("Motion ended!");
// We only want to print on the output change, not state
pirState = LOW;
}
}
}

but the LED doesn't stop blinking the whole time and doesn't respond to motion. i don't know what is the problem