MKR1300 and MKR2UNO

Hi everyone,

Someone knows if the MKR1300 is compatible with the MKR2UNO board ? Because the text says that the shield is only compatible with the MKR1000 board. Does anyone test this configuration ?
Thanks,

Alexis

Hello Alexis, I never used this MKR2UNO adapter (converter ?).
But, as I can see from the docs, it's just a form factor adapter. Since the MKRWAN1300 bar pins are the same as MKR1000 I see no problems.
Be careull using this kind of adapter, because voltages can be different. UNO normally uses 5V peripherals and MKR are 3.3V, and not 5V tolerant as a rule of thumb.
Also take care about the MKRWAN1300 version, because you'll need the no header version.

--
Marcio Jr.

There are a couple of problems with using the MKR WAN 1300 on the MKR2UNO.

The first is that the MKR WAN 1300 is a little bit longer than the MKR1000 and so the back of the board hits the ICSP pins on the MKR2UNO, blocking those pins from connection to a shield that uses them and also making it so the MKR WAN 1300 sticks up a little too high (though it does go into the headers on the MKR2UNO far enough to get an electrical connection.

The second problem is the MKR WAN 1300 is only sold with headers and the female headers on top of the MKR WAN 1300 stick up so far that they will prevent a shield from being able to be plugged into the MKR2UNO. Only the MKR1000 is sold without headers, which allows you to solder your own non-"pass through" headers to it so that there are only male pins on the bottom of the MKR1000 but no female headers on top. Someone had suggested a workaround for this issue of getting some "wire wrap" AKA "pass through" headers and using those as a spacer between the MKR2UNO and the shield to accommodate for the female headers on top of the MKR board. That's a bit of a hack, but there's no reason it wouldn't work.

So the problems are purely physical. There is no electronic reason for them to be incompatible.

Thanks Marcio Jr. and pert for your answers.
I'm going to see what I can do with those shields.
Your answers are clear and are helpful !

Regards,

Alexis

You're welcome. I'm glad if I was able to be of assistance. I have both a MKR2UNO and a MKR WAN 1300 on hand so let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi pert,

In fact, I've an other question which is: Is the MKR1300 compatible with a touchscreen ? I asked this question on an other topic but nobody answer me (so sad). If you know something about this kind of application, you're welcome !

Alexis

I don't have any personal experience with using a touchscreen on a MKR WAN 1300, but certainly it's possible to do so. You only need to make sure of a couple things:

That the libraries you're using for the touchscreen support the samd architecture of the MKR1300 (and you will find the popular libraries for the common touchscreen displays do).

That the touchscreen will not subject the input pins of the MKR1300 to voltages higher than 3.3 V. If you have a touchscreen that outputs 5 V then you will need to use voltage dividers or level shifter modules to reduce it to a safe voltage.

Those two things apply to any hardware you want to use with the MKR WAN 1300.

Ok, fine !
Thank you pert for your time and your advices.
I'm going to buy a MKR1300 and try to make some tests.
I will continue my researches by the way.
Have a nice day !

Alexis

AlexisP:
Hi everyone,

Someone knows if the MKR1300 is compatible with the MKR2UNO board ? Because the text says that the shield is only compatible with the MKR1000 board. Does anyone test this configuration ?
Thanks,

Alexis

Hey, hey; My response is a little out of date but you CAN use a 1300 w/a MKR2UNO shield. :wink: However, you do have to a minor modification to this shield in order to get it to fit as mentioned above. Note, this is a "at your own risk" modification & recommended for those experienced w/a soldering iron. Simply & carefully, desolder/remove the ICSP 6/pin header from the MKR2UNO shield. Before removal, use a good pair of side cutters to cut back all header pins & desolder. Finally, keep heat transfer to the shield at a minimum & all should goes as planned from there. Personally, I've also used a Vidor 4000 on a MKR2UNO w/no issue & simply love how durable Arduino products really are..