High curent high voltage checking from microcontroler

Hi

i want to build a project that the microcontroller will check the continuity of some contacts

lets say that we have 4 doors that have contacts to check if they are all closed (not independently)

because of the long distance between doors we have to use an Ac 110v for contacts continuity.

One thought is to use a AC 110v Relay and use one NO contact to pass the signal to my Microcontroller
(see schematic in picture)

Are any other methods , electronic parts that can be used instead of a relay that can do the same thing ?

Thanks in advance

PS : most of the times i have problem to embed pictures from my google drive. ''insert image'' seems cant embed url link from google drive.. is any special code to add to my url links in order to appeared right in my posts ?

caslor:
PS : most of the times i have problem to embed pictures from my google drive. ''insert image'' seems cant embed url link from google drive.. is any special code to add to my url links in order to appeared right in my posts ?

You're half way there: How To Embed Image In Post

Is the distance too great to use 24V for the continuity ?

It looks like you have three copies of the same schematic (2 links and 1 attachment)

Not sure what you question is.
There are many ways to do this.

I don't see any connection between D4 and relay pin-12 so I'm not sure how that's supposed to work.
You should the relay deenergized you the common is not connecting to relay pin-14.
If you relay is energized then relay pin 12 is connected to GND but there is nothing connected to 12 so I don't see how that would help. Relay pin-14 looks like the N.C. contact but is not shown connected to the common when the relay is deenergized so it can't be a N.C. contact. Your schematic doesn't make sense
as shown.
Either the relay is energized and pin-14 is open or the relay is de-energized and 14 is connected to the common but neither is the case with your schematic.
So what's up ?
What is the total distance of the loop ?

Are you sure you need 110VAC for that? I would do something more like 24V or 48V DC, and an Opto-isolator.

Like this:

Like this:

Exactly. You beat me to it.

I think he didn't have a schematic symbol for and closed SPST switch.

Thanks all for the interesting :slight_smile:
(i make the change so the picture will appear to my original post)

in the relay points 11,12 are the Normally close contact and points 11,14 are for Normally Open contact.

When all door contacts are closed then the relay is energized and so points 11,14 are closed and we have signal from microcontrellers ground to D4

the loop of the doors from one door to the last one is 15 meters / 49ft (or 30 meters / 98ft in total with the return line )

about DC voltage i am not sure if it is allowed, i will have to check it.. for sure the previous setup was based in relays with 110 ac current from transformer as the main power supply is 220v ac 50hz

while ago i had found in the internet (cant remember the site or the person that posted it) a schematic for 3phase sequence check .

maybe using something similar for the 110v will be ok? and for more safety adding an Opto-isolator

So the relay is energised by the mains? I didn't even know such relays existed, we live and learn.

meltDown:
So the relay is energised by the mains? I didn't even know such relays existed, we live and learn.

You have never come across to relays that use 12 , 24, 48, 110, 230 v AC for the coil ?

caslor:
You have never come across to relays that use 12 , 24, 48, 110, 230 v AC for the coil ?

... but then I've never needed an AC relay for anything ever in 55y of playing with electrical stuff, so it probably never occurred to me that such a thing would exist.

meltDown:
... but then I've never needed an AC relay for anything ever in 55y of playing with electrical stuff, so it probably never occurred to me that such a thing would exist.

Yes as an electrician i can understand that... we are used to deal with that relays for automation in older days... before microcontrollers invade :stuck_out_tongue:

now that i have start learning more things about electronics i am also come across to parts that never thought that exist :slight_smile:

about my ''problem'' just discover that are opto-isolators that work with ac voltages like the ''H11AA814 OPTOCOUPLER AC-IN'' that maybe will what i was looking to avoid the relay for my project

any other thoughts or suggestions ?

caslor:
about DC voltage i am not sure if it is allowed, i will have to check it..

That, to me, is a very odd statement. It makes me wonder if there's confusion over the safety of AC vs DC. And, that would be valid, were we talking about similar voltages. But, I suggested 24V [or even 48V, which is on the edge of "safe" voltages].
24VDC is certainly going to be far safer than 120VAC [or above].

ReverseEMF:
That, to me, is a very odd statement. It makes me wonder if there's confusion over the safety of AC vs DC. And, that would be valid, were we talking about similar voltages. But, I suggested 24V [or even 48V, which is on the edge of "safe" voltages].
24VDC is certainly going to be far safer than 120VAC [or above].

No No it was not about safety of Ac vs Dc ...

But i asked and told me that now days there is not any limitation about what voltage should i use for a project like the one i described at my first post.

So i will go for the 24v dc and opto-isolator solution

thanks all for your suggestions

I assume you are not in the USA because there is a limit to voltage AC & DC that you can use without requiring safety equipment (pertains to businesses only).
The limit is 50V (ac or dc). Anything beyond that requires safety protective covers etc..

No i am not in USA.
I am in EU but we have also safety limitations

for example in my project if i want to use voltage greater than 50v i have to add to my circuit a leakage switch

Well at least the USA and the EU can agree on at least one thing ( 50V).

raschemmel:
Well at least the USA and the EU can agree on at least one thing ( 50V).

Hahahaha.. true :stuck_out_tongue:

thanks again for your help to clarify my question