Constant current power supplies

be80be:
Cel phone charger are a constant current supply fixed at 5 volts. That's the newer one's like the iphone use's and most smart phones use

What part don't you understand I'm talking about the charger that plugs in the wall
not how it disconnects the battery from it.

No, you are giving these cell phone charger modules more functionality then they actually have. I've used many in my projects, they put out a constant regulated +5vdc voltage only, and not at a constant current. I have wired one up to power my arduino board via It's 5V and ground shield pins and the board draws about 80ma and the voltage is fixed at 5.1vdc. The constant current part is performed by a chip inside the cell phone that handles the chore of properly charging the battery at a proper constant current, using the regulated voltage supplied by the external cell phone charger module.

Again a typical 'cell phone charger module' is simply a switch mode DC voltage regulator outputting a regulated nominal +5vdc (most are rated at 5.1 or 5.2vdc) and can supply any current demand from 0 to typically 1 amp.

Lefty