huge low-res transparent touch screen, how?

hello to y'all,
im planning to build a 1x1m 8x8pixel transparent touch screen display.
does anyone have experience with building this type of very low resolution touch interface?
i want it flat and free-standing, and preferably excluding computers, so a camera tracking solution wont work.
now, i know that touch screens are often made by a capacitative film of sorts.... is it possible to make this on your own, or is it really expensive? i'm hesitant towards buying any readymade solution (and buying a 30+" touch panel is not cheap!), since i need so low resolution and such a big screen.
i only want 8x8=64pixels, so im thinking that i might just be able to do something with 64buttons/types of film cut in seperate squeares each fitting a button and a specific resistance...? perhaps a matrix of 8 by 8 lines of semiconductive transparent material?
does anyone know of any suited conductive transparent materials?
best,
jacob remin

Look at this description of using the Qprox Capacitive Touch Sensors
http://www.tigoe.net/pcomp/code/archives/arduino/000331.shtml#000331

For those applications where you want to sense a person touching an object, but can't use a switch or a force-sensitive resistor, charge-transfer touch sensors can often be very useful. The one used in this example is made by Quantum, and it's very simple to use.

Regards,
David