ATmega328P CH340G UNO "programmer is not responding"

Hi, I have searched these forums already looking for a solution to no avail.

Running Windows 8, arduino 1.6.8, with this board, ATmega328P CH340G UNO R3 Board from ebay.
Settings are
Board; Arduino Nano <oops, set to UNO actually..
Processor; AT mega328
Port: COM6

Programmer: AVRISP mkii < I have no idea which other to select?

Installed drivers from the china site posted in another thread here, CH341SER.ZIP (installed/rebooted)
Installed drivers from the arduino package, dpinst-amd64
I have not tried the FTDI drivers, not sure how to do so

Have tried 2 different usb cables, also different usb ports on my pc. I have the red and green LED's lit up on the board when connected, no flashing, just solid. I tried the reset button before hitting upload button.
I am not sure if this "unknown device" is the uno board (as seen in attached pic)
Nothing is connected to the board other then the usb cable.

The messages I get are in the attached pic.

Any suggestions to try are appreciated!

(deleted)

That was a typo, it is uno selected (Genuino/UNO).

(deleted)

I should have done more research on this stuff before buying, it was confusing when searching. I thought arduino was the type of board, not brand name.

This board might just go in the trash, at least it was cheap, like a starbucks cofffee.

The screenshot clearly shows nano selected, and the expected error if you try to upload to an uno with nano selected...

What errors do you get with the correct board selected?

The unknown device I think is probably something else - does it go away if you unplug the arduino?

Can someone help me I downloaded the software onto my Toshiba Laptop but for some reason its not working with the Adruino uno.

Did you try the newest version ? The zip or the exe : http://www.wch.cn/download/CH341SER_ZIP.html

On either UNO and NANO board selection I still get the same message as in that screenshot.
Would having too many devices plugged into usb ports cause this? I have 2 other usb devices besides keyboard/mouse on usb ports.
Yes the unknown device is still there when board unplugged.
Yes Im using that ch341ser.exe driver

Something broken ? get a new one.
A crystal can break easily. If you drop it on a concrete floor, the crystal might be broken.

The unknown device in your device list is a "red herring" and your clone board is probably fine. Selecting the board type of Uno will not work with clone boards that use the ch340 usb<>serial converter. You should be selecting the board type Duemilanove.

The Uno and the Duemilanove use the same atMega328P processor but the Uno uses a custom USB to serial chip, the Duemilanove uses an FTDI chip for its serial to USB converter function. The CH340 is a Chinese copy (read cheap) of the FTDI. When you plug your board into the USB port, your computer identifies the hardware and it loads the appropriate driver. In your case, we know that is true since the device appears in your driver list as COM6. One the driver loads and a com port is assigned in the driver list, you're good to go. The Arduino software only knows about the serial device at COM6, it doesn't know the board type which is why you have to specify it separately in the drop down.

You also mentioned: Programmer: AVRISP mkii < I have no idea which other to select? the programmer selection does matter for normal downloading, the selection is only in effect when you are attempting to flash a new boot loader.

I tried Duemilanove many times and it has no difference, same not responding message. :frowning:

You need try use other arduino for burn bootloader. Connect two arduino and select arduino as isp and click burn bootloader.

I have same problem like you. I drop my arduino uno before problem, maybe is Crystal.

This board is brand new....maybe damaged in shipping? It was in a padded envelope.

Here is some notes from the ebay page it is from

"Plug UNO development board, the driver will be automatically installed.
select the board UNO inside the die.
Select the COM port, this can be in my computer queries, just inside your uno port development board
You'd better to choose arduino own routine procedures, burn into the board"

The last line, what does that mean?

(deleted)

I had some of the same uncertainty with how to get the China-made atmega328P / CH340G board running (USB Nano V3.0 16M 5V Micro-Controller Board For Arduino | eBay). I wanted a cheap one to embed in a project, and $2.28 with shipping sounded almost too good to be true. I downloaded the driver for CH340G and was still having some problems getting a sketch to download properly, then I noted from this thread the recommendation to select the board type Duemilanove. This did the trick, now it is happily playing my go-to test sketch, "blink". Thanks!

Ooohhhh ssiirrr... I just register on the forum, to say thank you so much.
I bougth this chip from ebay, for only 2 dollars, and it work great (after your help).

avr_fred:
The unknown device in your device list is a "red herring" and your clone board is probably fine. Selecting the board type of Uno will not work with clone boards that use the ch340 usb<>serial converter. You should be selecting the board type Duemilanove.

The Uno and the Duemilanove use the same atMega328P processor but the Uno uses a custom USB to serial chip, the Duemilanove uses an FTDI chip for its serial to USB converter function. The CH340 is a Chinese copy (read cheap) of the FTDI. When you plug your board into the USB port, your computer identifies the hardware and it loads the appropriate driver. In your case, we know that is true since the device appears in your driver list as COM6. One the driver loads and a com port is assigned in the driver list, you're good to go. The Arduino software only knows about the serial device at COM6, it doesn't know the board type which is why you have to specify it separately in the drop down.

You also mentioned: Programmer: AVRISP mkii < I have no idea which other to select? the programmer selection does matter for normal downloading, the selection is only in effect when you are attempting to flash a new boot loader.

fix that worked for me, with elegoo Nano:

• select correct COM port in Arduino Tools menu. Check Windows Device Manager > Ports
  • select Arduino Duemilanove in Tools > Board