1 week of arduino"ing" question

Hi guys,

First of all thanks for everybody who contributes to this forum, it's a great source for learning.

I've started with arduino last week and managed to get a serial 7-digit display, oled and rtc clock running. I have a question about the next step:

I'm making a portable device using the arduino to control the oled and take input from buttons, once I'm happy with the prototype on a breadboard:

1 - I'm using a arduino mega, will the same code work for the arduino pro mini?
2 - do I actually need an arduino board or could I order a custom PCB that I could solder the atmega (or attiny, etc) and the other components (resistors, voltage reg., etc)?

I won't need to conect the device to a computer or anything, it'll run on batteries.

Thanks!

1 - I'm using a arduino mega, will the same code work for the arduino pro mini?

Yes, if you do not depend on some hardware specific facilities that only the Mega offers, such as four HardwareSerial ports, this should work just fine!

2 - do I actually need an arduino board or could I order a custom PCB that I could solder the atmega (or attiny, etc) and the other components (resistors, voltage reg., etc)?

You could make your own custom PCB, no problem.

:slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply, if you don't mind I have another one:

I only need rx/tx (communicating with the oled) and sda/scl (communicating with the rtc). I'm making a wristwatch.

I think I'll be better off with a ATTiny85 (even though I have never done anything like this project) since I don't need that many pins and I could always use less bulky components.

What do you think?

The other option would be the arduino mini...

I'm open to suggestions of course.

Thanks!

o