Programmer is not responding

Hey,
I have a arduino nano and everything workes well till yesterday. Now I cant upload anything to my arduino, I reinstalled the software and tryed a lot of other suggestion from the internet, but nothing helped.
Thanks for you help :slight_smile:

Arduino: 1.8.9 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Der Sketch verwendet 444 Bytes (1%) des Programmspeicherplatzes. Das Maximum sind 32256 Bytes.
Globale Variablen verwenden 9 Bytes (0%) des dynamischen Speichers, 2039 Bytes für lokale Variablen verbleiben. Das Maximum sind 2048 Bytes.
Der Sketch verwendet 444 Bytes (1%) des Programmspeicherplatzes. Das Maximum sind 32256 Bytes.
Globale Variablen verwenden 9 Bytes (0%) des dynamischen Speichers, 2039 Bytes für lokale Variablen verbleiben. Das Maximum sind 2048 Bytes.
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xbb
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xbb
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xbb
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xbb
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xbb
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xbb
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xbb
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xbb
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xbb
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xbb
Problem beim Hochladen auf das Board. Hilfestellung dazu unter http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload.

Do this:

• Tools > Board > Arduino Nano
  • Tools > Processor > ATmega328P (Old Bootloader)
  • Try uploading again.

Does that solve the problem?

Unfortunately it doesn't help...

Arduino: 1.8.9 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Nano, ATmega328P (Old Bootloader)"

Der Sketch verwendet 724 Bytes (2%) des Programmspeicherplatzes. Das Maximum sind 30720 Bytes.
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x31
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x31
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x31
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x31
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x31
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x31
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x31
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x31
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x31
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x31
Problem beim Hochladen auf das Board. Hilfestellung dazu unter http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload.

The first thing we need to do is determine which is the correct Tools > Processor menu selection for your Nano. For official Arduino Nano boards manufactured by Arduino which were purchased in 2018 or 2019, the correct selection is Tools > Processor > ATmega328P. For Nano clones or derivatives made by other companies or official Arduino Nano boards purchased before 2018, the correct selection is Tools > Processor > ATmega328P (Old Bootloader). Make sure you have the right Tools > Processor menu selection.

Remove any connections to pins 0 and 1. These pins are used for communication with your computer, including uploads. Connecting anything to these pins can interfere with uploads.

Make sure you have selected the port of your Nano from the Tools > Port menu.

If you don’t know which port is your Arduino, you can find it like this:

• Unplug your Arduino board from the computer.
  • Tools > Port
  • Note the ports, if any, listed in the menu.
  • Close the Tools menu
  • Plug your Arduino board into the computer.
  • Tools > Port - The new port listed in the menu is your Arduino board.

Im pretty sure that my arduino is a original one.
When my Arduino is not connected to the pc I cant click on "port". When its connected there is just one port shown: COM3.
I dont have any connections at my aduino.

seebaer:
Im pretty sure that my arduino is a original one.

On the bottom side of the board, near the USB jack, there is a rectangular black chip. If that chip says "FTDI" on it, then your Nano is probably made by Arduino and you need to determine the correct Tools > Processor menu selection according to the purchase date as I explained in my previous reply. If it says "CH340" then it is made by some other manufacturer and you need to select Tools > Processor > ATmega328P (Old Bootloader).

Once you have determined this information, please post it here.

seebaer:
When its connected there is just one port shown: COM3.

OK, then we know that COM3 is the correct port.

On the Chip is written EFTDI, and I bought it from a reliable plattform...

Did you purchase the Nano in the years 2018 through 2019, or prior to 2018?

I buyed my arduino 2 months ago or something

OK, here's my hypothesis: The bootloader baud rate is the same on the new Nanos and the Uno so you can upload to a new nano with Tools > Board > Arduino/Genuino Uno selected. However, there is an important difference between the two boards. The boot section of the flash memory on the Nanos is set to 2 kB, while the boot section on the Uno is set to 0.5 kB. I notice you had the board set to Uno at the start of this thread. So I think what happened is you upload a sketch that was larger than the 30 kB application section on your Nano. If you had the Nano board selected, the Arduino IDE would have correctly failed compilation and not allowed you to upload that sketch. However, you had the Uno selected so it did upload it. This means part of your sketch code ended up in the boot section and corrupted the bootloader.

The fix is to burn the bootloader on your Nano. You will need an ISP programmer for this. If you don't own a dedicated programmer, you can use a spare Arduino board as an "Arduino as ISP" programmer following this tutorial:

I think you are right, because I uploaded a big sketch to my arduino before it stopped working. The problem is just, that I dont have another arduino and I dont have a isp programmer too. Do I have to buy one?

If you know someone you can borrow a programmer or Arduino from, you could do that. Otherwise, you'll need to buy one. It's a good idea to have a spare Arduino board on hand anyway. An inevitable part of learning is killing some hardware. That's never fun, but if you have a spare board at least you can immediately swap out the dead one and get back to your project. If you don't have a spare board then your progress is completely halted while you wait for a replacement.

Ok, thank you for you very usefull suggestions!