Pecking drill

Hi all I’m new to this but I’m looking to convert a pneumatic drilling machine so that it will peck not sure of the best way to do this, would it be best to do it by time like the blink test or could I use a ultrasonic sensor and program different distances in to the sketch. Thanks

The term peck drilling is used by machinists, drilling, milling in metall. They use certain guid lines that relates the diameter of the drill and the drill depth in each "peck".
Of course You can build a control device doing this for a pneumatic drill. Number one is to have a good strategy, how to do the drilling. The second issue is to build the device doing it, selecting the needed sensors.
But shure, it must be doable. Similiar stuff was built for geologic investigations 30 years ago.

Bolan41:
a pneumatic drilling machine

That does not give us a lot to go on? Is it all secret?

For me "pneumatic drill" conjures up this image

...R

In the mechanical subject drills have data sheet telling speed of depth, RPM etc. for different materials. The technic drilling a piece of cheese and a piece of hardened steel is of course enormous. Check the data for Your drills and the material You want to drill.

For me "pneumatic drill" conjures up this image

Robin2, that drill is hydraulically powered, not pneumatically. You can see the hydraulic flow and return pipes hanging either side of it (my dad was in the demolition business and had similar machines).

PerryBebbington:
Robin2, that drill is hydraulically powered, not pneumatically. You can see the hydraulic flow and return pipes hanging either side of it (my dad was in the demolition business and had similar machines).

And it's called a hydro-hammer. Hundreds used around here all the time to try to break through the layers of lava rock. The point lasts a week or so and then needs to be sharpened, again.

Paul

And when running they go "peck peck peck!".

Use your feeling. When it tells that drilling is getting slow, charpen the drill.
Peck drilling in metalls is mostly about having the chips evacuated so the drill is raised to remove the chips in order to "get down" into the metall and create more chips.
A pneumatic rock drill would blow away the "chips". I would be surprised if the designers of hydraulic peck drills had forgotten that issue.
So what would You want to achive? Use a scale and Your Watch and notice the time needed to drill 2, 5 10 inches.

PerryBebbington:
Robin2, that drill is hydraulically powered, not pneumatically.

You are quite right. I was exaggerating for effect - thinking of it as a bigger jack-hammer.

Unfortunately I have not managed to spur the OP into providing any useful info.

...R

Robin2:
You are quite right. I was exaggerating for effect - thinking of it as a bigger jack-hammer.

Unfortunately I have not managed to spur the OP into providing any useful info.

...R

Yes, his description could apply to a drill used to put pins in fractured bones or a drill on an oil rig on a platform in the Gulf of Mexico.

Paul

Bolan41:
Hi all I’m new to this but I’m looking to convert a pneumatic drilling machine so that it will peck not sure of the best way to do this, would it be best to do it by time like the blink test or could I use a ultrasonic sensor and program different distances in to the sketch. Thanks

Does your machine just push on the drill and wait for a human to tell it when to retract the drill? If so, you might only need a way to switch from 'push' to 'retract' for a short while and then back to 'push'. Can you provide more information about the drill and how it is used? Maybe a pointer to the manual?