Ignoring members

Does this forum have the capability to ignore certain members?

Yes, you simply . . . ignore them.

AWOL:
Yes, you simply . . . ignore them.

Kids these days...

Something that takes absolutely zero effort, almost less than zero effort, simply not reading something that is written on the internet...

"Oh man, can't you make the machine do that for me?"

You guys can joke all you want, but I'm serious. I'd like to be able to setup an ignore list and have all posts, messages, etc from certain members blocked automatically.

It's not about being lazy. You have some members who are so full themselves that their posts aren't worth reading.

dl324:
It's not about being lazy. You have some members who are so full themselves that their posts aren't worth reading.

So don't read them. What's so hard about that? When you see the user name, just skip it. That's what I do. I have a whole list of folks that get all upset if you try to tell them what is wrong with their code and I can just see the user name and completely ignore the thread. It's as simple as not clicking on it. I can't imagine making it more work than that and asking someone to write code for that.

I know about the desire for the feature dl324 mentions. I am tempted as well to want the same feature. But I don't think it would really work. In order to contribute, it is necessary to see the other contributions on the thread so you will know what information the original poster may be getting.

I am not sure where the problem comes from, but it is recognizable to me.

I have another hobby I am involved with that has a forum where the overwhelming majority (~99.9% or more) contribute with genuine interest in helping regardless of knowledge level of who they are helping, and without trying to belittle or show off. It's like everybody is genuine friends. I don't know what makes that community behave that way. It's like a whole other vibe. It may be the investment level of each member.

I'm afraid regarding this forum, the only solution that helps for me is to take a break from it periodically. I have seen other seriously great contributors take a permanent break, say goodbye and good riddance, and they're outta here. That is a shame, but I suppose they just got tired of dealing with the 8th grade.

Sorry OP, I just realized I am probably one you wanted to ignore. Oh no!

dmjlambert:
Sorry OP, I just realized I am probably one you wanted to ignore. Oh no!

No worries. You aren't the problem.

dl324:
You have some members who are so full themselves that their posts aren't worth reading.

Maybe it's me, but I can't bring any people of that type to mind.

On the other hand I have come across Threads started by several different people who seemed more interested in developing a grievance than in using help that was given to get their project working.

...R

Delta_G:
So don't read them. What's so hard about that? When you see the user name, just skip it. That's what I do. I have a whole list of folks that get all upset if you try to tell them what is wrong with their code and I can just see the user name and completely ignore the thread. It's as simple as not clicking on it. I can't imagine making it more work than that and asking someone to write code for that.

I'm fully on board with this approach. I'm very new in this part of the Internet, and I kind of like the acerbic wit of telling people to do what they should have researched them selves before even posting here.

I'm a great believer in learn to do it yourself - and if you can't even figure out some posting guidelines before you splatter some code with out using code tags then you have other stuff you need to address.

So instead of an ignore function, I'd much prefer to see a forced tutorial on posting code, or maybe even when the post box opens it comes up with a prompt to 'put your code here'.

ScrewLoose:
I'm fully on board with this approach. I'm very new in this part of the Internet, and I kind of like the acerbic wit of telling people to do what they should have researched them selves before even posting here.

I'm a great believer in learn to do it yourself - and if you can't even figure out some posting guidelines before you splatter some code with out using code tags then you have other stuff you need to address.

So instead of an ignore function, I'd much prefer to see a forced tutorial on posting code, or maybe even when the post box opens it comes up with a prompt to 'put your code here'.

Oh you neo-progressives. ::slight_smile: