Error message programmer is not responding / avrdude not in sync

Does the Arduino IDE recognize succesfully the Arduino Uno board? (in the menu Tools/Port you can see the COM port that the arduino Uno is using?)

Yes, it does recognize that there is a board plugged in. The code also successfully compiles, and I receive the error after about a minute during when it says "uploading."

Hello there!

Do you have the correct board and COM port selected, you can check the COM port by opening Device Manager and going to Ports (COM and LPT) and there should be an Arduino something-something there. Make sure that COM port number is the same as the one you have in Tools->Port of the Arduino IDE.

Out of curiosity, what Arduino board(s) are you using?

bos1714:
Hello there!

Do you have the correct board and COM port selected, you can check the COM port by opening Device Manager and going to Ports (COM and LPT) and there should be an Arduino something-something there. Make sure that COM port number is the same as the one you have in Tools->Port of the Arduino IDE.

Out of curiosity, what Arduino board(s) are you using?

Yes, I am using the correct port and everything shows up as it should. I get this error on both the arduino uno and arduino mega.

having same problem

Are you using a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port?

bos1714:
Are you using a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port?

I'm using a USB 2.0 port. I am still having all of the issues mentioned above.

Have you tried the loop-back test?

bos1714:
Have you tried the loop-back test?

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I tried the test according to the forum here. I connected the board with the jumpers in the places stated, ensured that the correct COM port and board were selected in arduino, and then opened the serial monitor. Nothing I typed was echoed back after I hit send.

Was this done correctly? If so, would this be solved by simply buying a new cable? This is the third cable I've bought, all from different companies.

Thank you for the help.

I have had some trouble with the default loopback test too. Instead of putting a wire between reset and ground, simply hold down the reset button on the board and try that way. Can you also look at the Rx and Tx LEDs to see if they blink quickly?

I just bought 10 nanos from China. They would not program. After searching Internet I realized they got no bootloader. Arranged Uno to serve as programmer, and tried to to program bootloader. Fricken "wrong signature use -F". After reading all the crap people have been writing, I went to "programmers.txt", added "-F" in "arduino as ISP" block "arduinoasisp.program.extra_params=-P{serial.port} -b{program.speed} -F
and fricken nanos got bootloader and started to work

I don't know, but why simple things like that are not explained. Why, to make a mystery, to make yourself more important? I used to program 8051 microcontrollers using machine code and Commodore 64. Today we got everything on the plate, child's play. But we gonna put some f*** ups, and we are not going to tell about them. Let them sweat...... '

Dear all i also am facing same issue. Even my board is new & i upload only 8-10 times different coding.
The code also successfully compiles, and I receive the error after about a minute during when it says "uploading." Can anyone solve this issue as soon as possible.
The Error Messages are shown below:-

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x22
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x22
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x22
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x22
Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x22
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x22
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x22
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x22
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x22
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x22

bos1714:
I have had some trouble with the default loopback test too. Instead of putting a wire between reset and ground, simply hold down the reset button on the board and try that way. Can you also look at the Rx and Tx LEDs to see if they blink quickly?

I have determined that the original loop-back test does work, but only when I use a working arduino uno that does accept code. The uno that throws up the original error does not give a response during the loop-back test when using the same laptop and USB cable.

I also had 2 megas that gave the same error as my original post, however we were able to get them to accept code if we did Tools > Programmer > Arduino as ISP, when it was originally AVRISP mkll. This does not work to fix the same error for the uno. I am unsure what this command does regardless - is it hurting the mega to program it this way? I can't seem to find any answers on Google.

Thank you very much.

The Tools->Programmer selection only chooses what programmer is used when uploading using a programmer. Normal uploading by clicking the button ignores this option. Why the difference in programmer makes the Megas work is strange, and may inspire further testing.

Have you ever uploaded to either the Megas or the faulty Uno using the ICSP header (the 2x3 set of male pin headers by the main chip)?

If the loop back test fails, the usb-to-ttl chip has died.

If you have a ftdi cable, you can try that.

Did anyone get to the bottom of this error message?

It started happening on my uno r3 so thought I had fried it because the loop back did not work.

Bought a new uno and the loop back doesn't work on that either (bit worrying, all correct ports etc selected) and I get exactly the same error message.

Any help much appreciated!

Just in case this helps anyone:

I solved this problem by loading the blink example into my new uno and then re-loaded the GRBL sketch. For some reason having loaded the blink example into it there was no issue with loading the GRBL.

type or paste code hereArduino: 1.8.13 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Uno"

Sketch uses 924 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.

Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -cstk500v1 -PCOM12 -b19200 -Uflash:w:C:\Users\ALLANE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_81701/Blink.ino.hex:i 

avrdude: Version 6.3-20190619

Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM12

Using Programmer              : stk500v1

Overriding Baud Rate          : 19200

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x03

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Problem uploading to board.  See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.
Same error as the above post 
Have Hiletgo FT232RL FTDI  trying to communicate with a ATEMGA328P-PU ( bootloaded)  on a board provided ( which was used successfully by others ) on which I soldered my components 
when I upload ,ftdi  has one  led that blinks white only momentarily - that is it  and then I get the error.  Did simple blink test and still get error   check FTDI connections to the  J10 FTDI  - hooked up okay - Don't know where the problem is  - see attached for reference ! did read above post and replies  but still can't id  any solution  for me [20210419_122729|281x500](upload://5yBwED9rbXM1i42YKkeA0ZHgB9U.jpeg) ![MotorControllerV3zoomPCBnewView|690x330](upload://3z1xBig1sE2idSoex4OiqPvPGRL.jpeg) ![BlinkTest COM12|690x490](upload://zZHgcOcMtveTwWhcOqeqmmegFfh.jpeg) ![FTDICDM|536x234](upload://psRlE9ovBz7oMnXKMt81BEBIBTa.jpeg) ![DeviecManagerBSHOWALLHIDDEN|286x500](upload://8rwiGKZlYVV7XodLKJWl8aiTvCL.jpeg) 

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.