What do you think of these odd cheap displays from American Science and Surplus?

A VFD display for a buck. I have already figured out the pinouts for these LEDs, all work fine. The X/O display has two segments for the X's (/ and ) and four for the O's (N, S, E, and W crescents.) Everything I tried worked. Haven't done the VFD yet but they look like they are new condition, never used.

I like those 3-digit 7-segment displays. I'd buy a dozen just to have handy.

Not so sure about the X-in-O displays.

johnwasser:
I like those 3-digit 7-segment displays. I'd buy a dozen just to have handy.

I bought (left to right) 10, 10, 5, 5, mostly on account of how little they all cost.

johnwasser:

Arduino: noughts and crosses game!

That was what I was thinking but there is a practical problem with the displays being 2x1 instead of 3x1 which is there is no possible way to fit them into a 3x3 board, so I guess you go with a 4x4 board which is less common around here. One possibility could be that each move is half an O or half an X because the segments are evenly divisible but I am not sure if that would make the game better or worse.

I am even more interested in that VFD. I forgot that the filament driver is usually low voltage AC so I have to make a power supply to do that and start testing it out.

you can arrange them

and have that one sticking out to indicate who's turn it is with 5 units

The "XO" displays could make an interesting binary clock display: use the crescents for the low-order 4 bits, and the bars for the 3 high-order ones.

You could also use them to make an animated gauge by "spinning" it at a variable rate to show magnitude.