etching pcb at home (any suggestions)?

Hi there.

Inside the laminator there are 2 sealed thermostats. These need removing. They are in series BTW.

The replacement thermostat is from an old clothes iron. It was fixed to the iron by a machine screw so was easy to remove.

I then used the same screw to fix the irons thermostat to the laminator. I gut a groove in the bolt up it's length for a 1/4" so it would cut and clear it's own thread in the aluminium channel. The bolt needed cutting slightly shorter so it would hod the thermostat securely.

There is also a thermal fuse strapped to the aluminium channel. Remove and join the wires together. The wires from the original thermostats connect to where the irons wires were on it's thermostat.

Do ensure that there is no possibility of making the laminator aluminium extrusions MAINS LIVE!

The plastic case needed a hole cut in it as the thermostat is quite tall. I built a shroud round it to prevent any issues with touching mains live parts. The dial is fixed with silicon sealant.

THIS IS MESSING WITH MAINS POWER PLEASE BE CAREFUL!

A thermometer would be handy as well as the scale on the irons dial isn't exactly accurate and it is easy to get the rollers smoking!

The largest PCB I have done with it was 5 x 4 inches. My unit is getting a little tired and the gears in the AC motor gearbox start slipping if the unit starts getting to warm. But it has done a lot of boards.

regards

Fenrisulfr