Sketch won't upload to Nano Every, works fine on an Uno

I've built some LED matrices using NeoPixels and have been controlling them with Arduino Unos.

When I try to compile or upload the same sketch (attached) into a Nano Every, I get an error.

Any help is appreciated!

heartGIF2.ino (2.49 KB)

what is the error your get when uploading to the Nano? on the newer versions of the IDE there's and option for arduiono Nano (old bootloader) that you may need to select to get the code uploaded.

Thanks for the reply!

I copied the error messages and pasted them below:

Arduino: 1.8.8 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino Nano Every, ATMEGA328"

In file included from /Users/graysonmendenhall/Documents/Arduino/heartGIF2/heartGIF2.ino:16:0:
/Users/graysonmendenhall/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FastLED-3.2.0/FastLED.h:17:21: note: #pragma message: FastLED version 3.002.000

pragma message "FastLED version 3.002.000"

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from /Users/graysonmendenhall/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FastLED-3.2.0/FastLED.h:68:0,
from /Users/graysonmendenhall/Documents/Arduino/heartGIF2/heartGIF2.ino:16:
/Users/graysonmendenhall/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FastLED-3.2.0/fastspi.h:110:23: note: #pragma message: No hardware SPI pins defined. All SPI access will default to bitbanged output

pragma message "No hardware SPI pins defined. All SPI access will default to bitbanged output"

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from /Users/graysonmendenhall/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FastLED-3.2.0/FastLED.h:51:0,
from /Users/graysonmendenhall/Documents/Arduino/heartGIF2/heartGIF2.ino:16:
/Users/graysonmendenhall/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FastLED-3.2.0/fastpin.h: In instantiation of 'class FastPin<3>':
/Users/graysonmendenhall/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FastLED-3.2.0/platforms/avr/clockless_trinket.h:96:49: required from 'class ClocklessController<3, 4, 10, 6, (EOrder)66, 0, false, 10>'
/Users/graysonmendenhall/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FastLED-3.2.0/chipsets.h:382:7: required from 'class WS2812Controller800Khz<3, (EOrder)66>'
/Users/graysonmendenhall/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FastLED-3.2.0/FastLED.h:94:34: required from 'class NEOPIXEL<3>'
/Users/graysonmendenhall/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FastLED-3.2.0/FastLED.h:310:28: required from 'static CLEDController& CFastLED::addLeds(CRGB*, int, int) [with CHIPSET = NEOPIXEL; unsigned char DATA_PIN = 3]'
/Users/graysonmendenhall/Documents/Arduino/heartGIF2/heartGIF2.ino:56:50: required from here
/Users/graysonmendenhall/Documents/Arduino/libraries/FastLED-3.2.0/fastpin.h:207:2: error: static assertion failed: Invalid pin specified
static_assert(validpin(), "Invalid pin specified");
^~~~~~~~~~~~~
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Arduino Nano Every.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

This is a compilation error, so it's misleading to say "sketch won't upload" because that implies an uploading error.

The Nano Every uses the same ATmega4809 microcontroller as the Arduino Uno WiFi Rev2, so the following statement from the FastLED library's author also applies to the Nano Every:

It’s a new piece of hardware - support needs to be explicitly added to FastLED for it - at best, all it needs is new pin definitions in fastpin_avr.h, at worst it’ll need a full port. (I think this is the first time I’ve heard of the board).

But right now that board isn’t supported with FastLED.

Adafruit_NeoPixel works on 4809 as long as it's running at 16MHz

Thanks for the replies! I'll just have to use a previous generation Nano for now.