Arduino Programming Environment for iPad

Hey,

I don't know if I'll get the time for this but I'm interested in hearing if anyone has done any work porting the programming environment for Arduino to iOS devices. I know by default this isn't allowed in the app store but I was thinking it could be distributed through Cydia for jail-broken devices.

If anyone knows if there's already work being done on this please give me a shout, otherwise I will slowly start poking around.

Thanks!

Jail broke?

I'll stick to non-criminal PC systems. Thank you!

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your opinion. I do believe however that "Jail Breaking" or Rooting a device was found to be legal by courts here in the US and well within the scope and spirit of this community. I'm sorry if I offended you with my request.

Now back to the matter at hand, I know there is a JavaScript version of the Processing environment available for use with an internet connection but I'm interested finding out if anyone has been working on something similar for the Arduino tools, preferably local and native to iOS.

Thanks so much!

Java does not appear to be available for iOS which eliminates porting the Arduino IDE.

It appears that GCC has been ported to iOS.

So the answer to your question is "isn't going to happen anytime soon" and "yes".

Thanks so much, I had no idea anyone had gotten a C compiler working on that platform. I do remember seeing instructions for getting Java installed on your iOS device so I think that part is possible, here's the link for anyone interested.

I'll check back later to see if anyone's heard of a project that's underway, otherwise I'll post again when I have some time to muck around with it.

This came across my "desk" recently:

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2011/03/01/iphone-ethernet-cable-cisco-router-console/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

If it'll talk to a cisco console, it should be able to talk to an arduino (in fact, at one time I thought of putting a cisco-pinout RJ connector on my single-sided-serial board...)

Software is another matter...

I do believe however that "Jail Breaking" or Rooting a device was found to be legal by courts here in the US and well within the scope and spirit of this community.

The ruling (Rulemaking Proceedings Under Section 1201 of Title 17 | U.S. Copyright Office, part (2)) is specific to "wireless telephone handsets", which the iPad is not. The press reported it incorrectly as "iPhones and other mobile devices", but it is narrower than that.

Do you really want to type code on an iPad? Can you attach a keyboard? Even if you can, it seems like defeating the purpose of having a portable compiler if you also have to lug around a keyboard.

The ruling (Rulemaking Proceedings Under Section 1201 of Title 17 | U.S. Copyright Office, part (2)) is specific to "wireless telephone handsets", which the iPad is not. The press reported it incorrectly as "iPhones and other mobile devices", but it is narrower than that.

Well as the iPad also now has facetime, the new one at least could probably fit into that ruling.

frank26080115:
Do you really want to type code on an iPad? Can you attach a keyboard? Even if you can, it seems like defeating the purpose of having a portable compiler if you also have to lug around a keyboard.

Yes and yes and I don't usually lug around my bluetooth keyboard when out and about. I've found that I can touch type pretty well with the display keyboard, sadly there's no actual physical feedback aside from hitting the screen so I'm probably only running at 70% of my words per minute but that's enough to make me happy.

I really like the idea of not having to lug around my MacBook Pro. It's almost too big for my messenger bag, so if I can throw my entire project in there with my iPad and tweak the code while I'm out in the real world I would be a very happy man. Otherwise its the job for my aging laptop with a battery life of an hour tops.

Otherwise its the job for my aging laptop with a battery life of an hour tops.

Sounds like most apple devices after a few weeks :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe that's a bit mean :wink:

I can see why you want this but it isn't going to be easy to port across.

And I bought a tablet tonight...if I try to hook up my Arduino I'll let you know so you can poke some fun at me now... :roll_eyes:

I have to travel long distances too... so...

mowcius:

Well as the iPad also now has facetime, the new one at least could probably fit into that ruling.

That would arguably make it a "wireless telephone", but no mere functional change could make it a "handset".

That would arguably make it a "wireless telephone", but no mere functional change could make it a "handset".

Hmm, not sure

(Google)define: handset

•The part of a telephone, containing both receiver and transmitter (and sometimes dial), that is held in the hand

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1276&bih=815&q=define%3A+handset&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&safe=vss
The iPad 2 has both a speaker and a microphone on a single unit - it contains both a receiver and transmitter so does that not make it a handset?

mowcius:

Hmm, not sure

(Google)define: handset

•The part of a telephone, containing both receiver and transmitter (and sometimes dial), that is held in the hand

define: handset - Google Search
The iPad 2 has both a speaker and a microphone on a single unit - it contains both a receiver and transmitter so does that not make it a handset?

You & I may argue about this all week, and I may ultimately agree with you, however it seems to be a fair stretch (less than half of those definitions support your argument).

Regardless, in the end if you root your iPad2, Apple decides to sue you, and your defensive argument revolves around the above interpretation, you should expect Apple to argue vigorously in court that the iPad2 is not a mobile telephone handset.

in the end if you root your iPad2

I suppose that's where the issue lies - I will never have an iPad2 unless someone gives one to me for free. Even then it'll probably only be used for testing stuff.

I have yet to find or make a programming environment for the iPad however I just had to share this with all of you. MAKE just announced an Apple approved serial cable to attach your iOS device to your Arduino.

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2011/07/59-cable-lets-you-connect-iphone-to-arduino-no-jailbreaking.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+makezineonline+(Make%3A+Online)

This is a great step in the right direction, in getting Apple more involved with the Arduino. Writing code for an Arduino on an iPad 2 may not be as far away as it seems!

And only $80 for complete cable/level converter, what a bargain, cost more then a mega2560!

retrolefty:
And only $80 for complete cable/level converter, what a bargain, cost more then a mega2560!

Now that I know it does exist, I'll have sell my kidney to get one. Wait, or is liver gonna bring more cash? ]:slight_smile: