20MM 8x8 SQUARE MATRIX LED RED

Hello everybody!

Well Im starting my adventure in this quest of Arduino... and after reading basics on electronics (I still dont get a lot but its fun :P) and reading the "fundations", making examples and trying basic examples, I step into my first challenge.

I bought this red simple led matrix with a set of 16 pins (8 on 1 side, and the rest on the other).

in the site where I bought this, the only documentation they provide to this component is this image

no other info is provided (maybe its too trivial, but for a complete noob like me its not).

So im trying to do the RowColumnScanning on the arduino examples! But Im lost (and scare) since I dont know which are the anodes-catodes on this component I bought.

I already tryed to do a bit of research but is not clear to me what I have to do. I dont see special marks (like a + or -) on this component, or any other info that lets me know which side is which so Im able to do the RowColumnScanning example. Anyone can help me with this?

I also have other questions like, I found that on most examples on the web about this led matrix like this they use some IC to control de led. Are those really necessary? or they are just to reduce the number of pins needed to control it?

Do I need to add any resitances¿ I ask this because in the RowColumnScanning you are not required to use them, but dont know if thats because of the "model" of that led-matrix and if mine is different or what!! :stuck_out_tongue:

thank you in advance.

Can't find the documentation? When in doubt, pin it out - by process of elimination.
If you have a multimeter with a "diode test" function, you can poke around and look for a faint glimmer.
Number the pins your way, however seems logical to you, and note (write down) the polarity and placement of the leads, and which LED lights, each time you get one to go on.
You keep one pin connected (reference) and then test all others; move the reference and check all of the remaining pins;...
If you get all the way through that without much luck, then you start all over again with the leads reversed.
Sooner or later, you'll figure it out, and nothing will get hurt.

(This can be done with a 5V supply, a 1K resistor, and some alligator clips, too; but the "diode check" way is the safest and most noob-proof.)