Speech synthesis program output audio to arduino

Hi guys,

If I use something like, say MS Sam, and generate audio, is it possible to transfer this data serially to the arduino? Then the arduino can output this somehow to a speaker. How big would the delay be? And how should I go about doing this?

Thanks

and generate audio, is it possible to transfer this data serially to the arduino?

You will need to turn the audio back into digital numbers before you can pass it down the serial port.
Then you have the problem of converting the digital numbers back into analogue on the arduino. It only has PWM output for analogue and that is not very good for audio plus it is only 8 bits which is telephone quality at best. So you would need an external A/D chip.

Finally the data rate needs to be high but the serial port is only a limited speed.

What is an MS Sam, I have never come across one.

MS sam is the windows TTS software.
Microsoft Sam (they decided to name the dude sam).

To the OP, why do you need to do this? Why could you not just make a simple amplifier to drive a speaker from the audio output jack?

i was thinking of doing this because i needed this to be transferred wirelessly through bluetooth. but theres too many problems with this setup so I probably won't do it.