sourcing plastic blisters

mmcp42:
hmm
that's made me think
I didn't check if the lenses are IR transparent

Easiest way is to use a camera without an IR filter, and view the transmitter through the lens or plastic.

Then again - it wasn't completely clear whether your IR device was an IR LED (probably not, as we wouldn't be having this discussion - an LED is an LED), an IR receiver (little metal can with extra decoding electronics for the carrier signal filtering and such), or an IR-sensative phototransistor. If it's a phototransistor, depending on its construction you might be able to do the whole drill-n-fill routine on it, too!

mmcp42:
they should be here in the next day or so, a quick check will reveal all

you're right about the red LED though - a small hole and some glue will probably be fine

If its just for moisture/dust prevention, it will probably be OK; now, if you were putting this device under water or under pressure of some sort, that's a different scenario, of course...

:wink:

mmcp42:
I'm not too worried about blocking visible light as the prototype works a treat "out on the desktop"

thanks!

I wasn't sure if you were or weren't; I just wanted to mention something that was IR transparent and cheap to come by (you might find a piece of ordinary glass or acrylic to be transparent enough, if you need broad-spectrum coverage - all you'd have to do is cut/drill/bore a hole in your case, then mount the "window" using some epoxy or cyanoacrylate glue). Good luck with your project!

:slight_smile: